PDA

View Full Version : Design an ice cream refrigerator

flitzow
25-09-2008, 01:31 AM
Hello,

I'm a university student and still new in refrigeration * air conditioning course. I've been assigned to design single-deck ice cream refrigerator (for display). I've drafted a simple calculation for the refrigeration system. I used simple vapor compression system (VCS), neglected the pressure loss and the operating temperature is within -5 degree C (condenser) and -30 degree C (evaporator). I'm pretty sure that the system of ice cream refrigerator in the market is more complicated than mine. My questions are:

Is simple VCS suitable to be used in the design? Or, is there any other suggested system?
How can I calculate the pressure loss in the system?
How can I calculate the total load (ton of refrigeration) required for the system? Do I need to consider the ingredients of ice cream in calculating the load?
What is the type of refrigerant suitable for ice cream refrigerator?
Where can I find the information on the types and details of evaporator, condenser, compressor and expansion valve?

I hope that I will get a good explanation and guidance for you as I'm still fresh in this field. Thanks for your time spending in helping me solve this problem. :)

Brian_UK
25-09-2008, 11:34 PM
SOrry, slight misunderstanding here...

Are you trying to build a machine that will make ice cream or are you just trying to store/display it ?

flitzow
26-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Hello...I'm trying to design a single-deck ice cream display which usually located in the supermarkets or ice cream shops. Can anyone help me out?

Brian_UK
26-09-2008, 11:05 PM
So you need to design a refrigerated freezer.

The design is quite basic; compressor, condenser, expansion device and evaporator. Cooling fans as required.

flitzow
27-09-2008, 09:04 AM
ooo...thanx..i have recognized those equipments earlier..and 1 of my major problems now is how to determined the required refrigeration load..I've a read book and it says that I need to know the percentage of fat, protein, carbohydrate and so on before I can calculate the load..is there any simpler method to determine the load? thanx

Brian_UK
27-09-2008, 11:03 PM
No, unfortunately not.

The product is what sets the design of the equipment so you have to work from there, sorry.

Toolman
28-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Just find a cabinet someone has bulit that is already being used for IceCream and copy it ! Get the Condensing unit model , evaporator model, air flow across evap & product, etc , etc .
Once you have some model numbers you can find the tech details from that manufacturer . Theres plenty to copy and at least you'll be close to having it right .
To start from scratch creating a ice cream freezer is the hard way.