PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning SS Hoses ??

Alan Shore
22-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I was recently given a nice set of SS hoses that I will be using for evacuation and deep vacuum. They hold <50 microns for an extended period so they have no leaks or moisture.

I have blown them out with N2 but still see oil at the fittings. I have no idea what this oil might be and would like to get them as clean as possible.

Best method??

Thanks

monkey spanners
22-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I use a can of automotive brake cleaner, the type a mechanic would use to degrease new brake discs and such for light degreasing. Be careful though as it is extremely flamable.

Jon

Alan Shore
23-09-2008, 03:15 AM
I am just concerned about any residue that different solvents might leave behind.

At 30 microns vacuum for an extended time I would think that any oil would boil out? When the pump is valved out the rise was only about 6-8 microns in an hour. This was with all 4 hoses connected. This tells me that there wasn't anything boiling off?

They are probably fine, I am just very anal about contamination.

monkey spanners
24-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Alan,

I'm pretty sure that brake cleaner leaves no residue or it would be no use in cleaning brake discs/rotors and drums, its also very volatile and will evaporate at room temp so i'm sure it will evaporate in a vacuum.

Or you could run some clean refrigerant through you vac lines if they will take positive pressure.

Jon