PDA

View Full Version : Freezer/coolroom internal wiring questions

Harrison
17-09-2008, 09:43 AM
hi all,
how do you guys go about bringing wiring through a room panel. i seal up around the wires at the exit to stop water being 'sucked' down into the switch etc. and seal around the conduit on the inside of the room. i dont see anyone else doing this, is that why i find water in every switch i open up?
cheers

Brian_UK
17-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Could be, also negative pressures or pressure differentials across components will suck in moisture.

Depending on the situation a small hole drilled in the bases can let water out.

smpsmp45
18-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Your question is not very clear though. We use ceiling only for wiring & avoid taking wires thru wall panels. But in some cases that also needs to be done. We have never faced this problem. Other reason i can see is that due to conduction the temp inside the switches is getting lower & is condensing water. ???

Harrison
20-09-2008, 06:47 AM
the problem switch is inside a freezer for a light. the conduit runs down the inside of the wall because the room was partitioned at some stage otherwise i guess it would be outside. i am beginning to suspect that the water is getting in through the conduit at the top. moisture migrates to the coldest spot, no?

smpsmp45
20-09-2008, 07:18 AM
If that is the case, yes it can happen. But use plenty of silicone all over & your problem should be over. many a times emergency alarm system switch is located inside the cold stores at -20 degc. But then proper selection i.e. IP 65 could solve the issue.