PDA

View Full Version : Improve your Internet Speed.

Grizzly
15-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi Guys.
I am not sure if the tip detailed on the link below will help anyone from other Countries?
But it may well help many in the UK.
Have a read and let me know what you think!
Grizzly

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html

wilsonudevil
20-11-2008, 01:08 PM
What does the bellwire actually do?

Grizzly
20-11-2008, 06:10 PM
This third "bell-wire" is generated by the BT master socket and enables actual bells on old type phones to ring using the 50 volt AC ringer signal. Modern phones have electronic ringers which do not need the bell wire. Its other function is to stop other bells tinkling when rotary dials are used, and it was always known as the "anti-tinkle wire" in the 1980's when we all experimented with DIY enthusiasts.

Basically it's not required on modern phones.

If you have the very old fashioned style with the bell ringer then yes you need it!
Cheers Grizzly

wilsonudevil
25-11-2008, 12:13 PM
As probably the only household with an old style phone I'd best leave the bell wire alone in that case!

tom.smart71
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
For speeding up your computer follow the following steps :
got to run in start.
write cmd and press enter then on command prompt write chkdsk
then presss enter.
then on the command prompt write msconfig and press enter....

Kornukopia
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
got to run in start.
then presss enter.

??

How does that help you speed up your internet? You've also left your post unfinished.

what do you do when you've ran msconfig? What services do you stop?

Will they increase my bandwidth? [/sarcasm]

Back on topic: BT are now offering a free "accelerator" *( To customers )* which is basically a filter that bypasses the bellwire. The plate plugs into your master socket. Various users have reported an increase of speeds of between 0.5Mb ~ 1Mb.

Worth checking out the samknows website.

Josip
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi, Kornukopia :)

got to run in start.
then presss enter.

??

How does that help you speed up your internet? You've also left your post unfinished.

what do you do when you've ran msconfig? What services do you stop?

Will they increase my bandwidth? [/sarcasm]

Back on topic: BT are now offering a free "accelerator" *( To customers )* which is basically a filter that bypasses the bellwire. The plate plugs into your master socket. Various users have reported an increase of speeds of between 0.5Mb ~ 1Mb.

Worth checking out the samknows website.

seems that our member tom.smart71 http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?u=40949

was a spammer, unfortunately ... he'll never come back to finish his post ...

Best regards, Josip :)

Kornukopia
11-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Bit of a shame, although I was guilty of a little trolling on him.

Josip
11-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Bit of a shame, although I was guilty of a little trolling on him.

Don't worry ... he wasn't a real spammer ... more like a person advertising something in a way which is not allowed on RE forums...

Best regards, Josip :)

Chef
12-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Hi Guys.
I am not sure if the tip detailed on the link below will help anyone from other Countries?
But it may well help many in the UK.
Have a read and let me know what you think!
Grizzly

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/broadbandspeed.html

There is way to speed up the internet for the countries outside of the UK.

Try out Opera as a browser, it has a turbo button on the lower left of the page and it runs at about 3 times the speed of a normal connection. According to Opera they use a system that compresses pages before they are sent to your computer.
Mine really loads RE pages quickly - try it - its free and its got some cool widgets as well.

Chef

back2space
25-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Best way to speed up your internet on your computer is using TCP Optimiser, great little tool.

Just open the program from the website, drag the slider all the way over to the right, click OPTIMAL settings and then "Modify All Adapters" and then run it.

It will then ask you to restart after which your internet speed will be improved massively.

It works by opening the TCP stacks and increasing capacity.

The website explains in more detail.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Sparks7788
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
The MTU setting in your router and your pc are important as well, most routers come preset at 1500 which is no good for aol and talktalk in the uk, wrong setting can cause slowdowns and downloads to be corrupt.

Thanuja
27-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Cleared cookies & private data & checked the speed here http://www.scanmyspeed.com/ , it provides exact solution at free cost & very good in services ...

SeanB
08-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Shoot, and here I am stuck with a line that has a fixed speed - 384k, and I pay by the bit......... The only thing that is good is that there is no slowing down from that speed, no contention or shaping is done on the capped accounts, unlike on the limited ones, that can be throttled down to a speed that makes dial up over a farm line look good.

Lucindal
09-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi.. Good question...
Improve now for higher bandwidth Internet,looking for another ISP to surf the exsisting connection speed and must pay the costs you a lot of money..Also,I have this problem,but can not do anything...Best of luck man!!!

dmsims
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I have a very long line in a rural area 63db attenuation! When we moved in we had 0.7Mb broadband. It is now 2.5MB

Steps taken to improve it were

Cutting the Bellwire
Getting BT to install an NTE5 then fitting an Openreach filter faceplate (better than all the "dangly" filters). Removing the terminal blocks!! in the junction box with Gel crimps
Installing a Billion 7800N - the best router that I have tested on a long line