PDA

View Full Version : R134a Capillary lines

Latte
06-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Hello all,
Somebody ask'd me a question today to which i did not know the definative answer so i open up to those brainy ones amonst you.

Why does R134a block capillarys when no other gas seems to. ?.

The only thing i can think of is POE oil more suseptable to cloging when overheated ?. Is this the answer or is it just one of those we know it happens so accept it facts of life

Regards

Raymond

milton
06-02-2004, 04:05 AM
hi Raymond can to be philter dry ?

Gary
06-02-2004, 05:24 AM
As I understand it, POE is highly detergent. It scrubs the system clean, and deposits all of the gunk in the drier and cap tube.

Latte
06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Hello Gary,
I was always under the impression that one of the reasons for soldering with OFN blowing through on a R404 system was that the GAS was almost like a detergent and would pick all the burnings off the pipe. Is his not the case and it is actually the OIL that picks up any deposits on the pipework not the gas

Regards

Raymond

chemi-cool
06-02-2004, 09:04 PM
hello raymond.

after it happend to me a few times in the past year, I made a small research and this is what I came out with:
the problem accures mainly in domestic refrigerators.
they differ from other systems by having a steel condenser.
the residue found inside a cut open filter/drier was picked up with a magnet!! so it was not copper or aluminium (aluminum in usa).

therefore my conclusion is that either the poe oil or the gas is "eating" the steel condenser and that stuff is blockingthe cup tube.

as I've mantioned before, I take 5% off the cup tube and charge with r-12 ( no law against it in my country) and problems gone.

ask your friend to open a fifter/drier with about 2cm of cup tube and check it out.

chemi