PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing an American style fridge/freezer

mclovin
10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi, im new to RE but im looking to buy a new american style fridge for my new flat. I've had a tiny hotpoint fridge up until now which has been ok but im not sure about which american style brand to go for, that and I dont trust the snake oil sales people in comet.

So far i've got it down to the Hotpoint MSZ802 , the Samsung RSA1DHMH and the Whirlpool 20RUD4. Which one am I less likely to have troubles with or is there a brand I should avoid?

taz24
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi, im new to RE but im looking to buy a new american style fridge for my new flat. I've had a tiny hotpoint fridge up until now which has been ok but im not sure about which american style brand to go for, that and I dont trust the snake oil sales people in comet.

So far i've got it down to the Hotpoint MSZ802 , the Samsung RSA1DHMH and the Whirlpool 20RUD4. Which one am I less likely to have troubles with or is there a brand I should avoid?

Fridges and freezers are like any other product you can buy today.
I do not know of any disadvantage or advantage that one has over the other.
The more bells and whistles that somthing has incorporaated into it then the more there is to go wrong.

The electronics will more often than not let you down first.
They will be designed and built to last at least 5 or 6 years so if one fails earlier than that it is down to the luck of the draw.

I would advise you to go as simple as possible but if you insist on haveing an American type fridge go for the one that looks good in your kitchen and is the cheapest price.

Cheers taz.

platinumfreeze
10-09-2008, 05:53 PM
It doesn't really matter what brand you buy anymore. They're all made by the same company anyway. I've seen LG refrigerators with the Maytag, KitchenAid, GE, and Whirlpool name on them.

Ernie

Rhew
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Samsung havent got the best reputation in this country have a look on the uk whitegoods site for some pointers

brianubaldo
11-09-2008, 05:12 AM

i advice to you to go for samsung side by side..

it is a very good fridge with very unique designs [interior/exterior]
it is also good in saving your food.. properly design to make your foods last long and been studied by private agencies for keeping foods safe from any contaminants..

samsung also offers very good customer service.. and highly trained service engrs. and technical support to make customers satisfied with the unit if you have questions or inquries.. :)

im not a salesman huh.. hahaha im just an samsung technical support:cool: lolz

tonto33
11-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Avoid Samsung at all costs, go for a magtag if budget will go that far as they very good, if not try looking at LG or whirlpool both good units, but you get what you pay for,by cheap end up with ****(samsung)

keepitcool
11-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Maytag enjoys a very good reputation in the states. But they are a bit expensive.

paul_h
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
No one likes electrolux over there?
They own westinghouse down here and seem to be good (side by sides are made locally, not is some random asian factory that makes the rest of them (LG or samsung)
Samsung make decent twin cools, I have never liked there single evap fridges though (side by sides or regular uprights).
The only problem with the twin cools was the defrost sensor and evap insulation but that seems to be sorted with a new type.
Other brands mainly offer only single evap versions while samsung has the cheapest twin evaporator.
Customer service, highly trained engineers and technical support though... Ha, pull the other one!

tonto33
11-09-2008, 03:29 PM
samsung also offers very good customer service.. and highly trained service engrs. and technical support to make customers satisfied with the unit if you have questions or inquries.HA ha that funny:D
Go for Amama cheaper maytag but still just as good

Rhew
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Im with tonto there their customer service was so good they got themselfs on bbc,s watchdog with the RS21

344martin
11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Customer service/ Samsung.......... not two words I would use in the same sentence

brianubaldo
12-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Samsung make decent twin cools, I have never liked there single evap fridges though (side by sides or regular uprights).
The only problem with the twin cools was the defrost sensor and evap insulation but that seems to be sorted with a new type.
Other brands mainly offer only single evap versions while samsung has the cheapest twin evaporator.
Customer service, highly trained engineers and technical support though... Ha, pull the other one!

hi paul..

the assy cover evap and the defrost sensor is now new.. had you been experience issues about samsung from 2006 until now?

But i assure you that service marketing teams are very good. :) specially in PH:cool: