PDA

View Full Version : Sulfer Dioxide refrigerant

Accumulator
10-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I have a late 1930's early 40's GE "Monitor Top" Refrigerator/Freezer which runs on this refrigerant. It is in original condition, and still makes ice cubes very quickly.
My question is a "what if" the compressor let go and I decide to convert it with a remote condensing unit, how is this gas to be handled ? Reclaim to a storage tank, and where would I dispose the gas. I have no intentions right now to use this unit as it needs new wiring and thermostat, and I'm saving that for my retirement years. I have a feeling its gonna smell like rotten eggs or worse.:eek:. Has anyone here had any experience with this refrigerant ? What class is this in ? What is the law regarding the handling and what are the health hazards ?

I appreciate any info,
Thank's

NH3LVR
10-09-2008, 02:02 AM
As far as I know there is no need to reclaim it.
Just do NOT do what I did many years ago and chop the lines with an Axe. The gas drifted over my Dad's strawberry patch and killed it.

DEVITG
10-09-2008, 02:06 AM
If it not broken , please DO NOT TOUCH , I think you will not can buy new gas for it.
You can rewire and change thermostat.

star882
15-09-2008, 03:57 AM
Fix it and keep it as original as possible. It's likely an antique!

davo4
28-10-2008, 08:49 PM
We used to slowly bleed SO2 into drums of water that absorbed the rotten stuff. Hope & pray that you never need to release it, as it's quite safe in it's contained state.