PDA

View Full Version : Glycol pipes.

balnauld
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
HI, I have leaking glycol pipes under the cold store floor digging up the floor is not an option,
any other suggestions.

The Viking
08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Biig can of Radweld??

Brian_UK
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
A little explanation of what the pipes are serving might help things along a bit.

My first thought with the limited info would be to run the pipes around the outside of the cold store.

Grizzly
09-09-2008, 07:02 AM
HI, I have leaking glycol pipes under the cold store floor digging up the floor is not an option,
any other suggestions.

Normally the glycol is used to form a thermal barrier between the Cold Chamber/s and the Ground they are sat on! ( I presume this is the dilemma?)
Prevents Meters of Perma frost in the ground below.
Sorry balnauld! Personally I don't know of a way around digging them up to repair them.
Grizzly

keepitcool
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I agree. You will not stop the pipes from leaking without digging up the floor. If you just valve off the leaking circuits you will be digging it up later anyway due to the heaving floor from the perma frost that Grizzly mentioned. Normally they don't just start leaking if the proper material was used. Has something changed or did something happen? I had a customer that had the glycol pump fail and decided to put it off for budget reasons. The pipes froze and burst. Not good!

steven heath
09-09-2008, 02:48 PM
not much help now but i would always considor electrical heater mat from day one much more of a safe option

keepitcool
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
That is am interesting statement. Why do you say it is safer? Why is Glycol underfloor heat dangerous?

steven heath
10-09-2008, 04:24 PM
not to say that glycol is dangerous just that with an electrical system the heater is made of a stainless steel wire therfore not much to go wrong ie damage leeks etc