PDA

View Full Version : New Freezer keeps cutting in

Mrs Doyle
08-09-2008, 11:42 AM
I just bought an "A" rated Icetech chest freezer to replace an old one. Left it for 24 hours after delivery, filled it with frozen food and after 3 days the compressor is still regularly cutting in for 5 minutes then off for 10. It sounds like its creaking/wheezing when the compressor is on. The coolant is isobutane. Is this normal?

I think if I call the help line they will tell me it is normal whatever!

tonto33
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
u have a faulty compressor, go back to supplier and get it replaced if only you just brought it in last 28 days

fridge doctor
08-09-2008, 10:19 PM
tonto33, can I ask why you have arrived at the conclusion the poster needs a new compressor ? Have you read the post properly. The cabinet is running for 5 mins and off for 10... sounds absolutely fine to me.

taz24
09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I just bought an "A" rated Icetech chest freezer to replace an old one. Left it for 24 hours after delivery, filled it with frozen food and after 3 days the compressor is still regularly cutting in for 5 minutes then off for 10. It sounds like its creaking/wheezing when the compressor is on. The coolant is isobutane. Is this normal?

I think if I call the help line they will tell me it is normal whatever!

A fridge is showing signs of distress if it runs longer than it is off. Your fridge is off longer than it runs so that is an indication it is working ok. The noise could be a problem but you can somtimes hear the refrigerant as it is pumped around the system. If it is too noisey and only you can judge that then seek advise from the supplier. The type of gas inside will not effect the noise.

Cheers taz.

Mrs Doyle
09-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks to you all for the advice - the company tell me it should run for 20 minutes and then be off for 30. Still sounds a lot to me? Is this a normal range for a small domestic freezer? Thanks.

taz24
09-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks to you all for the advice - the company tell me it should run for 20 minutes and then be off for 30. Still sounds a lot to me? Is this a normal range for a small domestic freezer? Thanks.

It depends what is in it and how cold it was when it went in.
The more stock in a fridge / freezer makes it initialy work harder but when it is down to the corect temp it will hold the product temp longer because the product acts as a big ice bank.

If they recomend 20 on and 30 off it depends on the loads that they are refering to. Yours runs for 5 and then off for 10 That will depend on your load and temp settings.

Your fridge is running efficiently but it might be cycleing at too short a frequency.

Cheers taz.