PDA

View Full Version : Is my site of interest?

Mick
19-04-2001, 01:55 AM
Hi
My website is primarily about stainless steel tanks. However it includes related design notes, including information and a directory about stainless steel. There are also a number of interactive spreadsheets for unit conversion, tank pricing and the like.

My question is whether it could be of interest to users of this site to the extent of including a reciprocal link?

Thanks for anything...including to the contrary.
Cheers

subzero*psia
19-04-2001, 01:09 PM
Mick, is your shop ASME Code certified and makes ASME Code welds on these tanks?

Just wondering.... if so I may want to send you some pics for a quote.

Mick
22-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Dean
The website is a portal to several independant workshops.
Tanks as such would not normaly be built by an ASME certified shop. Tanks are defined as non-pressure vessels whereas ASME is concerned with coded pressure vessels. Having said that, one potential (not yet signed up) member is ASME certified.
ASME certification is not a prerequisite qualification for building pressure vessels either. It is one of the better certifying authorities and probably the only one operating throughout the United States, but elswhere there are the likes of Lloyds (of Londan, the famous insurers) and Burea Veritas http://www.bureauveritas.com Veritas are based in France but "With a presence in 120 countries 500 offices worlwide and a qualified workforce of more than 10000 experts" are international and for example are the certifying authority for most international shipping containers. Lloyds http://www.lloyds.com are the watchdog for BS5500, the British PV Code.
Then in our (downunder) part of the globe, we have our own government departments and private firms that supervise the quality assurance. Australia has its own codes. AS1210 which started as a carbon copy of ASME8 but has since included its own additional clauses is their pressure vessel code. In New Zealand, we used to have a very simple code but have now abandoned it and construct to ASME BSS and AS and employ either the govenment or private firms to supervise the construction. All are certified to do so by the international authorities and the codes are worded such that the construction must be accepted, provided the design and constrauction methods are thus approved.
Tanks are more generaly constructed to the internationaly recognised API standards (American Petroleum Institute) although in New Zealand, we have our own code, because we are more subject to seismic conditions. API650 is not particularly good for seiesmic load consideration.

Does that answer your question?

subzero*psia
23-04-2001, 03:55 AM
Sounds like you are very familiar with pressure vessel codes to me. I am a QE over code pressure vessel construction... always looking for certified shops to build components.

Mick
28-04-2001, 01:14 AM
Ooops...sorry Dean
Probably seemed like I was trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs. And there's no excuse really. Get the odd enquiry similar to your 1st response and they seldom seem to really know what they want...just quote ASME Certification as if it is some sort of holy grail as regards QA. I wrongly assumed yours to be of that nature.
(Lesson Mick, never assume anything)
If you want to test some pricing from this neck of the woods, I'm happy to obtain a couple of comparisons for you. Might even be able to use it to finaly convince the local ASME shop to link to my website :)
And by the way, if you are interested in some way, send me an email. I'm not sure yet quite how such would work, but I hope, in future, to be sourcing stainless fabrication from elsewhere, at which stage I/we will certainly need an inspection service.
Cheers