PDA

View Full Version : Embraco PW 5.5A compressor - pins layout?

Braidbar
04-09-2008, 02:04 AM
My fridge-freezer quit working tonight - it's probably over ten years old and I think it might be a Candy, but I'm not sure. It switched on, ran normally for about ten seconds and then switched off with a loud click. The start/overload device is a Klixon, and I can see some physical damage to the unit. So, I want to try hard-wiring it but I'm struggling to identify the compressor terminals. It's an Embraco PW 5.5A, and the pins form an upside-down triangle, so there are two pins on the same level with a single pin in the centre, below. Does anybody happen to know which are the Common, Start and Run, please?

Also, I'm only getting continuity between two pins - that's 45 ohms, but no continuity across the other two sides of the triangle. Does anybody know if this compressor contains an internal capacitor, which would account for the lack of dc continuity with my ohmmeter. Thanks.

Braidbar
04-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Well, I eventually found this snippet of information:

"Common is usually the bottom on Embraco. Start top left, Run, top right."

... so I wired it accordingly but still no sign of life. I assume there is no internal capacitor, and the lack of continuity meant that the Start winding really is open-circuit.

If that pin layout is correct then I have 45 ohms from Common to Run, but an open-circuit from Common to Start, and open-circuit from Start to Run. Oh well, at least I tried.

I won't be looking for a replacement fridge-freezer until next week, so meantime, if anybody disagrees with that pin layout then could you let me know please, and I'll give it another try. Thanks.

fridge doctor
04-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Danfoss sold off their manufacturing facility for the PW range to Brazilian Co. Embraco, who continued to produce the range. The Danfoss PW was a hugely popular compressor (R12/22/502 versions) for domestic and light commercial. Danfoss sold it around 1980 and continued their production of the superceded range.

There is nothing whatsoever sophisticated about this pot. It is your bog standard job. No thermistors, external klixon, capacitor if required. You don't have continuity acrosss the terminals, it's goosed mate. And frankly it's done quite well.

Braidbar
04-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for verifying that - I'll start looking for a new one then. Shame though, because it was a good little unit - only 47" high so it was ideal for me as a single person - other units tend to be much larger and I simply don't need something family-sized. Thanks again for your help.