PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu air con fitting

airconlad
02-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi

I was fortunate to be given a fully working (before removal) Fujitsu wall mount split unit air con system and long lenghts of copper pipes, the unit was removed 4 days ago and is sitting in my hall way,

unfortunataly the pipes were cut to ease removal the evap unit has about 1 foot + of pipes sticking out, the outer condenser unit has about 4 foot of pipes still atached to the flare fittings.

Does anyone know where to get some inline joints, and bends for the pipes at the right sizes so I can plumb in ?

Have been told that any joints in pipework will need to be braized and not soldered like water plumbing fittings is this true ???

I did a 2 year filler NVQ 3 course on welding and braizing fabrication but have not used any of it since I left college about 8 years ago, should be ok braizing, will practice first.

Thanks

Prince Vaillant
02-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi i was asked the same question today funnily enough!

Question & AnswerAnswered OnQ: Hi i'm after your advive any maybe parts, I recently got 3 fully working (before I removed) wall mount split air con units made by Fujitsu, these units were in a small office block that my dad got the job of knocking down, so I went in and saved these units from their death, I had to cut the pipes to get the units out / off wall's ect as I did'nt have much time to get them out like 2 hours, I left the pipes long so that I could reconnect to them, I also removed all the of pipe's from the building so have plenty of pipe. I now want to install in my workshop and home so am looking for a way to join the pipes back together myself, do you sell anything to make joining them back together easy / will these Flare unions do the job / can you get joints that solder like the plumbing fittings ?? I am pretty competant and want to do a proper job. thanks 02-Sep-08A:

Answer:
As you have saved so much an the units themselves i really do recommend getting an engineer in to do the job as it isnt as simple as you seem to think. I must make you aware also that by releasing the refrigerant gas into atmosphere when you cut into the pipework you were breaking the law. I know this isn't the answer you were looking for but it really does need an engineer to sort this for you.

Brian_UK
02-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Yes brazing is required, ordinary soldering is not suitable or allowed.

I appreciate that this is a 'home install' but do you have any of the required equipment to recommission this system?

When the pipes were cut, did they seal off the ends again? (Please say yes)

edit: I see that PrinceV has typed faster than me and has raised points that were to be my next subject ;)

temperzone
03-09-2008, 02:58 AM
everything you need is available from climate centre or HRP -weather they will sell to the general public is another question. joining the tube is just a case of swaging -(imperial eastman do a nice basic kit)and resoldering with min 15% silver solder. Vac the system (to min 500 microns) and your done - assuming you didn't lose the refrigerant charge when removing the system.

davej
03-09-2008, 06:55 AM
the amount and type of questions speaks volumes, dont lets undermine our industry and lets not forget the f gas regs. GET A QUALIFIED ENGINEER.

airconlad
03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Yes brazing is required, ordinary soldering is not suitable or allowed.

I appreciate that this is a 'home install' but do you have any of the required equipment to recommission this system?

When the pipes were cut, did they seal off the ends again? (Please say yes)

edit: I see that PrinceV has typed faster than me and has raised points that were to be my next subject ;)

Hi thanks for the replies.

Before the condenser unit was removed and any of the pipes cut the 2 valves under the brass caps were wound in so I believe this is sealed (with gas in it I hope) The evap unit has gaffa tape round pipe ends to stop dust and crap getting inside, a pipe cutter was used not a saw!

Units are both in my hallway in the dry.

Have bought a Rothernberger super fire 2 gas torch with yellow MAPP gas canister and non fluxed brazing rods for copper, have lots and lots of long pipe, proper 90Kg wall mount brackets (recovered) I hope this is the correct equipment so far ?

Have been shown a tip by an air con professional (popped in a local shop at lunch to ask advice) on joining the pipes up by fitting a slightly bigger (tight fitting) pipe over the existing smaller and then brazing so it has a sort of in line joint as I don't have a pipe end enlarger tool (can't remember what he called that) they gave me about 1 foot of each size larger pipe I would need.

They were surprised that I am gonna give it a go but said not too much can go wrong, just don't use too much brazing rod (so it runs down the inside of pipe or forms balls) and make sure all joints are clean before brazing other than that they were happy that I seem to know what to do.

Hopefully the next time I reply it will be joined up, I will get the install checked over for leaks and then vacuumed out and refilled by a professional as I cannot do that bit.

Hope this is what you want to hear and would appreciate any other advice if anyone has any tips or tricks.

PrinceV it was me that asked the question trying to get as much information as possible, I have learnt lots of stuff over the last few days about air conditioning and want to have a go, don't like giving up especially when so close (o:

Thanks

fridge doctor
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
OK , so you have done some BRAZING.... in college or somewhere. That's fine but you know there is no substiute for practical experience and more importantly being shown how,what and why by a pro who has been doing it for years.

By your own admission, you will be unable to complete this installation by your own hand, as it involves evacuation, and re-charging at least...

Why then, I ask myself have you spent time, effort and cash to reach a stage of what can only be described as - a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - to be ultimately thwarted by the final stage ?

The fact is that you cannot EVER ! teach yourself to be a refrigeration engineer, this is not in the realms of DIY and never will be. Do not make the mistake of thinking that you are smarter than the average Guy, and you can get a handle on this subject in a few days/weeks/months even .... I, like most of my peers spent 5 years learning my trade and many more practising. Please don't insult my profession. You can't do this end of story... Just put your hand in your pocket and get the best you can afford, you are backing a loser thinking you can bypass the professionals. This is not sour grapes mister, I am a long way from your patch so I have no axe to grind. I am telling you the absolute truth, there is no way around it.

frank
03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi thanks for the replies.

Before the condenser unit was removed and any of the pipes cut the 2 valves under the brass caps were wound in so I believe this is sealed (with gas in it I hope)
Yes, you have trapped a certain amount in the outdoor unit. Do you know how much of the charge is trapped?

The evap unit has gaffa tape round pipe ends to stop dust and crap getting inside, a pipe cutter was used not a saw!

Units are both in my hallway in the dry.
How do you know your hallway is dry? have you taken a humidity reading?

Have bought a Rothernberger super fire 2 gas torch with yellow MAPP gas canister and non fluxed brazing rods for copper, have lots and lots of long pipe, proper 90Kg wall mount brackets (recovered) I hope this is the correct equipment so far ?
What about bending the pipes around corners?

Have been shown a tip by an air con professional (popped in a local shop at lunch to ask advice) on joining the pipes up by fitting a slightly bigger (tight fitting) pipe over the existing smaller and then brazing so it has a sort of in line joint as I don't have a pipe end enlarger tool (can't remember what he called that) they gave me about 1 foot of each size larger pipe I would need.
Heath Robinson comes to mind.

They were surprised that I am gonna give it a go but said not too much can go wrong
Famous last words.

Hopefully the next time I reply it will be joined up, I will get the install checked over for leaks and then vacuumed out and refilled by a professional as I cannot do that bit.
Hopefully.

But the system will need recovering before the re-charge can take place.

Remember the old saying. Penny wise, Pound foolish.

Best of luck

sinewave
03-09-2008, 09:03 PM
OP

It will cost you around £200-300 to have this installed by a proper A/C guy, albeit no gurantee, but hey ho, it's your best option for having any chance of longevity! :D