PDA

View Full Version : any p.c builders ?

rbartlett
25-01-2004, 04:20 PM
hi guy's

we had real bad storms last week and my athlon -xp pro- went bang..

however i have a dell p4 -on 98me- which was given to me as it had a duff hdd but-

trying to get the new hdd up and running is causing me real grief-and the old hdd out of the ath won't run with it either..

(i have fitted a real old 2.7gig and that's running okay so the p4 p.c is okay but i'm a bit fuzzed for sure..

crisps/chocolate/beer/bacon sarnies/me(only if you're gentle mind:-/)

oh and a few quid to any one who can get me out of this...mess....

i don't mind travelling a bit if that helps....

cheers

richard

chemi-cool
25-01-2004, 08:56 PM
hi richard,

I am not a "real" hardware man, but I have build and put togethr my computer and I change it every time it can not run a new basic program. thats about once a year.

what I've learned, is that it is very important that all the hardware will be able to work together, the mother board can not run with "any" memory and the processor should fit the mother board and so on. that information is usualy can be seen on control board/system.

software wise, if you have problems, ask one of those little computer freeks 12 to 15 years old. I've found them very helpful even though they can not always explain what they do.

hope I helped a bit.

chemi

rbartlett
25-01-2004, 09:26 PM
every little helps..;-))

i'm on an over clockers site and alt comp.hardware with this -but somewhere will sort it soon for sure..

cheers

richard

Brian_UK
26-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Richard, have you checked the hd settings in the BIOS ? It may be that the cpu is looking for the wrong type of hd.

Well, that's my two cents worth

herefishy
26-01-2004, 11:53 PM
How old is your MB/Bios? Are you going to a HD greater than 30GB? Do you have the original paperwork/directions with the "new" HD?

rbartlett
27-01-2004, 09:31 AM
the original mb is less than 18 months 2 yrs -it's a p4 1.7 dell dimension 8100

i can't find the new hdd paperwork..which is a tad strange as it was in a box with the faulty drive i took out..

Robearbam
08-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Number one....get rid of ME or 98, whatever OS your using. Win 2K Pro (Very little game support) or XP if you like games. The OS your using has bugs. The BIOS configured for the P4 is too new not to have an auto detect feature for the HD. If you have a CD for the OS of your choice the computer your using should be able to boot from it for installation.