PDA

View Full Version : Thermal fuses

paul_h
29-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Anyone made their own up?
As most people know, it's a common fault with frost free fridges, especially samsungs.
Anyway, I've got an interesting model samsung here with a blown thermal fuse. It's a 250L upright that is normally a timer/klixon based fridge. But this one has a sealed PCB and coil sensor so other thermal fuses won't fit the wiring loom/plug, and the supplier has told me it's a 4-6 week wait for parts to be shipped from overseas.

I know my local electronics shop has 77*C thermal fuses, but to get it installed, I'd need to solder I guess.
Any tips in soldering thermal fuses? Can it be done without blowing them, even if you just keep the fuse body wet while soldering?
I would have thought if soldering was possible, the manufacturers would have done it because it's cheaper than crimping. But most seemed crimped but I don't know what type of crimp joins they've used.
Thermal fuses are only $2 ea, so I would like to get a system/crimp connector in place to save time and money repalcing on site, rather than waiting 2 weeks+ and paying $20+ for OEM replacements.

Electrocoolman
29-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Paul,
As far as I know you cannot solder these thermal fuses - sort of self-defeating!!

I've only ever seen them crimped too. I've used a modified crimp for the purpose with some success. Use a 0.25" push on crimp and cut the body off, leaving just the barrel which you can then use as a miniature in-line crimp.
Don't forget that the body of these thermal fuses is not insulated, so I then enclose the whole assembly in close fitting sleeving.
The application I was using these for was for water heaters.

paul_h
29-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah like I said, if they could be soldered, even carefully with something to cool the fuse, they would already be, as it's cheaper for the manufacturer than crimp terminals are, so I guess that's a no go.
DO you have any links to show the crimp terminal you are talking about?
I was going to heatshrink the fuse afterwards.

Electrocoolman
29-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Standard RED crimp terminal

Cut off ring and use barrel to crimp wire to fuse lead

tonto33
11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
wot model no samsung as may have thermal fuse laying about can send ya

paul_h
11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
It was that RT24 I posted about in another thread that you replied to re: service manual.
It's no big deal, I just went and bought a $3 thermal fuse and crimped it on.