PDA

View Full Version : New fridge freezer

angel50
27-08-2008, 10:16 AM
After the last fridge freezer packed in am finally getting my new one delivered today (can't wait!) I've read in their email that I shouldn't turn it on for 6 hours until its happily settled into its new home:eek:! Is it ok to turn it on just for a min while delivery men are still here to make sure it works or could this damage it?

Brian_UK
27-08-2008, 11:49 PM
They recommend the time delay to allow for any oil that should be at the bottom of the system to return there.

Officially fridges should be stored and transported in an upright position. The reason for this is because of the oil migration (not much to be honest) and to prevent damage to the compressor motor.

The motor is suspended on springs inside the metal can and also one of the pipe connections inside the can can get broken if the fridge is mis-handled.

I would follow the email instructions because the company may use that as an 'anti-warranty' getout clause if anything goes wrong.

I would also write something on the delivery note to highlight the fact that the fridge is untested 'as instructed'.

If you see that the fridge is not upright in the truck before it is delivered or the packaging appears to show that it has not always been upright the I would refuse to accept delivery due to the possibility of internal damage.

I'm sure that all will be well but you know that every body does a 'cover your arse' job now-a-days.

Electrocoolman
27-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Follow the advice and DON'T turn it on until the recommended time has passed.

The reason for this is to allow time for oil in the compressor to drain down from places that it should not be....if it has been transported or tipped the wrong way during delivery / moving, then this problem with the oil can occur.

Switching it on too soon can push this oil into the capillary (a very fine tube) and cause a blockage.

taz24
28-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I do not belive that any harm can come to a domestic when starting even if laid down,

BUT

I would follow the email instructions because the company may use that as an 'anti-warranty' getout clause if anything goes wrong.

I would also write something on the delivery note to highlight the fact that the fridge is untested 'as instructed'.

I'm sure that all will be well but you know that every body does a 'cover your arse' job now-a-days.

I agree with Brian on this one. Do not turn it on and do sign to say that it has been delivered untested, because they could use the starting against you if it does go belly up.

Switching it on too soon can push this oil into the capillary (a very fine tube) and cause a blockage.

How can the oil get to the liquid line?
The compressor valves will stop oil moving into the discharge, so the only way oil can move is through the suction and it would have to travel a long way to get back to the liquid line.

taz

chemi-cool
28-08-2008, 11:35 AM
We have discussed this issue in the past.

You are right taz, nothing can happened and oil can not block any thing inside the pipe work, it runs there all the time!

Just an old myth.

But.... if the manufacturer insists, do as they said and wait for 6 hours. It will do the warranty good.