PDA

View Full Version : Converting an Inverter ?

fridge doctor
24-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi All,

Just lately I have had a few 10+ year old inverters to deal with. I am talking small split here doing residential work. To be honest if there is any possibility that the electronics are faulty there really isn't any point wasting time, as I will not be able to get the bits anyway. So invariably it gets binned and replaced. But what about a conversion ? It occurs to me that I could simply discard the inverter electonics, introduce a suitably sized capacitor and make it a PSR system.... Or is there something I am overlooking ?

trevor

paul_h
24-08-2008, 04:31 PM
The motors in the compressors aren't wound for PSC. ie:
They are wound like a 3 phase, they are under 1ohm, equal between all windings, usually only ~300 milli ohm.
They aren't designed to start at full speed.

Anyway, how do you even know that the inverters are faulty, it could be the compressors that are faulty?
Also of course you would have to make your own outdoor PCB to control compressor cycling, fan cycling etc, as most inverters have the whole system control in the outdoor, if you remove or bypass the inveter PCB you have nothing to control the system.

fridge doctor
24-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Your'e right of course Paul, sorry mate I must have had a relapse or something... not thinking about the compressor windings or the control side... sorry. Thanks for waking me up.

Trevor