PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerant vs Chilled Water

baker
15-01-2004, 12:56 PM
I am building a system using an automotive ceiling mount evaporator rated at 22000 BTU, but I want to use chilled water instead of R134a.

Besides making sure that the water has the appropriate corrosion inhibitors, are there any other gotchas that I should be aware of?

Peter_1
15-01-2004, 02:30 PM
If the given capacity was rated at -10°C (i assume this) then your water/glycol must alos have +/- -10°C. Otherwise you won't reach your 22000 BTU.

Remove eventually the distributor and make sure you fit the correct pump.

chemi-cool
15-01-2004, 05:46 PM
hi baker,

looks like a bad idea to me. water coils have a different design.

consult Marc O'Brien. I'm sure he can help you with it.

chemi

baker
16-01-2004, 12:52 AM
Just to clarify, I am using water because the unit will be in a sleeper cab and I don't want to risk smothering the occupant should the evaporator spring a leak.

The compressor is only rated at 7600 BTU/H, and the evaporator was selected for size and availability, rather than capacity.

chemi-cool
16-01-2004, 03:17 PM
ok baker,

its about 1HP now you will need a condensing unit with some sort of gas/ water heat exchanger, I would have use a welded plate one, a water pump, magnetic will never leak! and a small expention tank.

all of that should be desiged as small as possible with all the necessary protections for both circuits, water and gas, and find a good tech. to build it for you.

good luck

chemi