PDA

View Full Version : Building a small refrigerator

rollerblade12
13-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Hello All,

First off, let me start by saying that I know NOTHING about refrigerators and/or refrigerants. I was hoping to build/adapt a small refrigerator to surround a 1 and a half meter tall "CD tower" shaped object. I actually want the cooling system to surround an open area large enough for cans to be stacked within the tower. I was curious if it makes more sense for me to buy a small refrigerator and replace the cooling tube with one that fits into the area i want, or if i should make my own. I live in the US, and I think i need to have a licensed person deal with the coolant, so it would be good if I was able to circumvent this by keeping the coils intact. If i were to remove the coils and install ones of my own, would I need to replace the coolant, and what coolant would be the one to use? Any ideas for this home project would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks Alot
Andrew Newman

rbartlett
13-01-2004, 09:50 AM
in all honesty andrew two things..

firstly this isn't quite as simple as you'd think. if you did get anyone licenced involved the cost would be a tad higher than you'd think
start at $60 per hour and estimate 2-3 days ....plus 'bits' used..that's assuming everything is in place..

secondly this isn't the place for those 'who know nothing' about refrigeration.

this is a group -this site i believe was created for engineers to discuss aspects of life mostly pertaining to our particular (or is that perculiar) industry

try some other alt group like alt.hvac /repair etc..they will be more than willing to see if something can be done..

good luck with your endevour

cheers

richard

rollerblade12
13-01-2004, 12:53 PM
thanks

Karl Hofmann
13-01-2004, 01:36 PM
Andrew,

You could try http://www.ackits.com/forum/index.cfm and post on the off topic section if your willing to try your self. It is a DIY automotive air conditioning site but well have a go at anything, especially now that it is winter.

Building your own would be more expensive than buying a unit off the shelf though

Peter_1
13-01-2004, 05:02 PM
This can be a good start

http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/