PDA

View Full Version : Quiet cellar cooler

multisync
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Got a customer who needs a new cellar cooler but the indoor unit must be very quiet. Another quoter said he would put the indoor on a fan speed controller which they can turn down during the night.

The boss wasn't too happy about that as he feels liq flood back may be an issue..

So can anyone suggest a quiet 5/6 kw @ 12 degc indoor unit suitable for a residential enviroment?

Multisync
London

The Viking
12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Can't get much quieter than THIS (http://www.schlosser-moller.no/teknisk_katalog/Gruppe_5/61401.pdf).

No fan at all!

(Sorry about the language but you can look at the picture and see what I mean)

old gas bottle
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
most of the new models are quite anyway,its the outdoor that needs to be .the J,E HALL ones use the A/C outdoor unit so that might be worth a look.:)

Andy AC
12-08-2008, 08:39 PM
The newer marstair evap units, the white plastic ones, are a lot quieter than the older series. The new beermasters are also a lot quieter than the older searle based evaps.
As you need 5-6kw you will need a unit with a good air throw, which will unfortunately lead to more noise from the indoor unit.
If you do find a quiet unit, let me know

Andy

Rhew
12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Is it going to be the vibration of the evap fan or just the sound of it runing thats going to be a problem, ive had to make up a frame bolted to cellar floor and mounted evap on rubber mountings to prevent the drone being carried along some walls/joists

multisync
12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
The newer marstair evap units, the white plastic ones, are a lot quieter than the older series. The new beermasters are also a lot quieter than the older searle based evaps.
As you need 5-6kw you will need a unit with a good air throw, which will unfortunately lead to more noise from the indoor unit.
If you do find a quiet unit, let me know

Andy

They have got the old Mastair one!. He needs 5kw as there are a lot of pythons + an ice maker in the room heating it up. The room is only 5m sq. I went in today and it must have been 30+ :-(

We have looked at he Maquay and new Mastair ones but the noise ratings are confusing is a 51db at 1.5m quieter than a 45 db at 10m ?

Interestingly the Maquay outdoor is MUCH quieter than the indoor.

I guess we will sell him a time clock and turn it off during the night :-/

Multisync

multisync
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Can't get much quieter than THIS (http://www.schlosser-moller.no/teknisk_katalog/Gruppe_5/61401.pdf).

No fan at all!

(Sorry about the language but you can look at the picture and see what I mean)

I don't think the ceiling will be big enough to mount a 6kw natural coil ..

Multisync
London

Brian_UK
12-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Does he need a cellar cooler or a basic AC unit.

Do the pythons need to be kept cool or warm ?

multisync
13-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Does he need a cellar cooler or a basic AC unit.

Do the pythons need to be kept cool or warm ?

He needs a cellar cooler to keep his cellar cold.. at 12 deg c

Multisync
London

Brian_UK
13-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Understood..

Thinking sideways - is it feasible to change the usual axial type fan for a centrifugal one (may need some ductwork) which would normally be quieter ?

bernard
13-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi the old Marstair units had a proplem with the Evap motor vibrating and resonating through the building,this was quickly cured by wedging a large bit of armoflex behind the motor.I wouldn,t recommend fitting a time clock as the fan should run 24/7 to stop hot spots.Pubs abuse there cellar and chefs use them as walk in coolers leaving the door wide open.

Regards Bernard

frank
13-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Have you considered using one of the Marstair low temp cassettes?

Pretty quiet compared to a normal cellar cooler that has to throw the air quite a ways. With such a small cellar it may just fit the bill.

wilks
13-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Have you considered using one of the Marstair low temp cassettes?

Pretty quiet compared to a normal cellar cooler that has to throw the air quite a ways. With such a small cellar it may just fit the bill.

We fitted one of those the other day for a kitchen sanwich prep room at 10oc , couldnt hear the thing!!
also the indoor had a speed option for fan aswel so it could be lowered down of a night?

Latte
13-08-2008, 10:58 PM
May be a stupidly obvious answer and you have done it already, but have you spoke to the guys at Hubbards in Otley. They are normally very helpfull and can come up with a solution to most problems

Regards

Fatboy

BritCit_Juve
14-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Three possible solutions here.
One is to use the new style marstair celler cooler as they are quieter and relitively vibration free.
second is to lower the fan speed of the current unit at night or when cooling isn't required. This requires the unit to have a de-ice stat fitted. If you look at the wiring the fan motor has a red and a black wire comming from it. The black will be incircuit and the red wired to a blank terminal. The red wire is a low speed tapping and could be wired through a timeclock (or the thermostat) to switch between the tappings.
Third would be to mixmatch one of the marstair WM100 units with something like an MCU+50 to operate at the 12°C room condition. The indoor unit will need to be fitted with a de-ice stat.
To change sound rating from 1.5m to 10m you would need to subtract something like 16dBA so 51dBA at 1.5m is quieter than 45dBA at 10m however you then need to consider the room type and reverbation times and zzzzzzz
Brit

multisync
14-08-2008, 06:13 AM
All good stuff for sure.

WE considered the cassette but the low ceiling height is too restrictive. Then we got the news below:-(

At the moment the boss is spitting teeth. As part of the job was ripping out some old coldrooms. He nursed the Manager along and told him what was required to remove and dispose then he goes with another company for fifty quid less..

They are saying they want the best/quietest but obviously the bottom line is all they care about.

Multisync
London