PDA

View Full Version : How does the freezer work?

Ju123
12-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi,
I realise that this site is intended for professionals so please forgive me for asking this but I can't find anywhere else that may be able to help me.

I have a combined fridge freezer (freezer on the bottom) made by Candy. The unit has one compressor and one thermostat which is in the fridge. Its an old model and doesn't have a defrost facility.

I can't understand how the fridge works! The freezer seems to do all the work so I assume some of the 'cold' is moved up to the fridge. There are no coils / fans / ducts or anything in the fridge. Other than a tiny hole at the bottom (down which goes water to be evaporated in a tiny reservoir on top of the compressor) it seems to be nothing other than a plastic box.

Does the 'cold' come through the walls of the fridge?

Thanks for your help.

344martin
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM
There is a cooling element (evaporator ) behid the rear wall of the fridge cabinet which is why you will get droplets of ice on the rear wall.

Ju123
12-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Ahh yes that makes sense. I think mine must be busted because the freezer works fine but the fridge doesnt work at all!

majo
13-08-2008, 02:49 PM
i think the thermostat is in the fridge compartment. There is none in the freezer.
So i don't think its possible for the freezer to work if the fridge isn't cold enough according the thermostat

Ju123
13-08-2008, 07:13 PM
The thermostat is in the fridge. The fridge is not cold so the unit keeps working constantly. The freezer is very very cold (-20) but the fridge is still only just under room temp.

karl957
13-08-2008, 08:37 PM
There must be a shortage of refrigerant in the unit. A possible Refrigerant leak could be the cause of the fridge section not to work correctly.