PDA

View Full Version : All Samsung RS21 Side by Side Refrigerators

tonto33
06-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Problem with the RS21 refrigerators highlighted by the BBC TV Watchdog programme to which Samsung have responded by offering a 5 year warranty from date of purchase on those problems only.

The symptoms covered are:
No cooling, Weak cooling, Excessive vibration and / or noise from the cooling fan in the refrigerator.

On all calls for this fault where no previous work has been done then the Assy Cover Evap, Defrost Sensor, and Thermal Fuse must be replaced to reduce the likelihood of repeat repairs.
2. The water tank should be checked to see it is not frozen or cracked and replaced as required.
3. The Defrost Heater and Drain Heater should be checked by putting the unit into forced operation to see they get hot. If only the heaters have failed they are not considered to be part of the "epidemic failure" and must be charged for if the appliance is out of it’s normal 2 year warranty.
4. If previous repairs for this fault have been carried out then only the faulty parts should be replaced as necessary.

The parts covered by the extra warranty are as follows:
ASSY-COVER EVAP REF KIT DA97-05290Q

or DA97-05290E (With CSZ)

or DA97-05290N
A Fixer Evap Clip (C Clip) DA61-03585A must be fixed to the evaporator if not supplied with the kit.
SENSOR TEMP-DEFROST-SENSOR DA32-00006U

or DA32-00006W
THERMO FUSE ASSY DA47-00095E

Trident
23-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Hi everyone and tonto33,
I discovered this post whilst searching for a thermo fuse assy for my RS21 side by side, I was unaware that there was an extended warranty.
I purchased this unit in sept 05 and last year the fan blades in the refrigerator evaporator assembly started to touch excessive frost build up. I defrosted by leaving the fridge off for a weekend, the trouble seemed to go away, at the time I recall phoning samsung and they were helpful but the problem didn't reoccur.

Recently however the problem started again, noisy fan and then excessive build up of ice on the outside of the evaporator case(which I had not noticed in the incidence before), the original thermo fuse assembly is indeed now open circuit and there is a 2k reading across the drain heater and 470 R across the integrated evaporator heater. Having obtained a service manual for this model the self diagnosis indicates a time out on the R defrost routine, it also indicates an R –Defrost on the load diagnosis (presumably to the PCB relay) routine.

I recall on the first incidence last year that I thought how to minimise the possibility of the fan enclosure frosting up, and decided to take the charcoal filters out permanently (to increase air flow over the evaporator) and also to cover all liquids placed in the fridge and make sure they are not warm. Now it appears as if the polystyrene has become partially waterlogged (presumably a fail), which may explain the transfer of frost to the outside of the case maybe.

I am aware that the position of the thermo fuse is important and I understand that there is now a Dclip to be introduced, so it would seem best to fit the whole replacement kit , perhaps the airflow design is different in the new casing.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

tonto33
23-09-2008, 07:24 PM
just contact samsung and they will get a engineer in your area to do the repair for FREE