PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies as "Hermetically Sealed"

johno12345
06-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Hi,

As part of my FGas and ODS audit, I am having some trouble finding a drfinition of what a hermetically sealed system is.

My thoughts are that a system that arrives on site as a complete unit such as a ducted package system or a through wall system would be hermetically sealed but a split system with field installed refrigerant pipework isnt.

Is this approximately corect?

Thanks

Tesla
06-08-2008, 10:45 AM
No. Hermeticly sealed as in a compressor indicates it is of a welded shut construction. Semi Hermetic indicates Bolted shut construction. A ducted or through the wall could be semi hermetic if there are compression (Flare joints/fittings) used.

taz24
06-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi,

As part of my FGas and ODS audit, I am having some trouble finding a drfinition of what a hermetically sealed system is.

My thoughts are that a system that arrives on site as a complete unit such as a ducted package system or a through wall system would be hermetically sealed but a split system with field installed refrigerant pipework isnt.

Is this approximately corect?

Thanks

I know where you are coming from and Tesla is correct in defining a comp as hermetic and semi hermetic, but you are talking about F gas.

I think your definition is as good as they get.
The way I think about them is a hermetic system is complete and integral to what ever you connect it to and it does not have access ports fitted (I have been reliably informed that a hermetic system can be fitted with a gauge fitting port and still be classed as hermetic, if the port is capped off with the correct fittings).

Any system that has to be fabricated or installed on site is not hermetic (connecting pipes together and such).
I think the deffinition includes not loosing gas aswell,
somthing like a hermetic system is deemed hermetic if it looses less than ???grammes of refrigerant a year.
The amount is very very small.

Cheers taz.

Argus
06-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,

The EU F Gas Regulations provides a precise definition of the term ‘hermetically sealed’ as it applies to compliance with the regulation in Article 2 – 11, as quoted below.

"hermetically sealed system’ means a system in which all
refrigerant containing parts are made tight by welding,
brazing or a similar permanent connection which may
include capped valves and capped service ports that allow
proper repair or disposal and which have a tested leakage
rate of less than 3 grams per year under a pressure of at
least a quarter of the maximum allowable pressure;"

(REGULATION (EC) No 842/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 May 2006 on certain fluorinated greenhouse gases)

There is no use of the term in the ODS regulations, but the definition above can be applied if necessary.

johno12345
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Its a pity that the split units with brazed pipes dont qualify as the connections to the condenser and evaporator are both compression unions :(

That would have made all our equpt fall within the 3/6kg charge limits.

Thanks for the advice!

its also blown the 3g/annum limit on one R22 system that has lost 300g over the last 18 months with no aparent leak that anyone can find, its off to the carrier graveyard I think :)

Argus
07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
its also blown the 3g/annum limit on one R22 system that has lost 300g over the last 18 months with no aparent leak that anyone can find, its off to the carrier graveyard I think :)

There's no such thing as a leak that can't be found....

If it's leaking, it can be traced with enough effort.

taz24
08-08-2008, 12:03 AM

The EU F Gas Regulations provides a precise definition of the term ‘hermetically sealed’ as it applies to compliance with the regulation in Article 2 – 11, as quoted below.

"hermetically sealed system’ means a system in which all
refrigerant containing parts are made tight by welding,
brazing or a similar permanent connection which may
include capped valves and capped service ports that allow
proper repair or disposal and which have a tested leakage
rate of less than 3 grams per year under a pressure of at
least a quarter of the maximum allowable pressure;"

(REGULATION (EC) No 842/2006 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 May 2006 on certain fluorinated greenhouse gases)

There is no use of the term in the ODS regulations, but the definition above can be applied if necessary.

Told ya :p :cool:

taz.