PDA

View Full Version : Portable air conditioner

tonto33
05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi guys,
my father in laws portable air conditioner has packed in cooling. dont do these but to stop this missus giving me more ear bashing thought better look,the compressor doesnt run, megged out the compressor and it reads ok, getting power to it and all the fans work just compressor wont kick in ..
any ideas please

nike123
05-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi guys,
my father in laws portable air conditioner has packed in cooling. dont do these but to stop this missus giving me more ear bashing thought better look,the compressor doesnt run, megged out the compressor and it reads ok, getting power to it and all the fans work just compressor wont kick in ..
any ideas please

When you say "geting power to it" did you mean that all terminals of compressor have been supplied with correct voltage?

Empty the condensate reservoir, check the condensate switch, check compressor condenser!

tonto33
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
correct voltage is going to the compressor, cleaned the condenser plugged it in compressor start for 5 secs then kicked out again and wont come back in

nike123
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
correct voltage is going to the compressor, cleaned the condenser plugged it in compressor start for 5 secs then kicked out again and wont come back in

Then change compressor condenser with new one and try again after compressor has cooled down. If you have Klixon overcurrent/temperature relay, try to bridge him and see if compressor is spinning, and at same time check amperage draw of compressor for abnormal amperage draw (be careful here to avoid compressor windings burnout).
If you have excessive amperage draw, you have seized compressor or high side restriction.

chemi-cool
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Portables are disposable after a few months.

never saw such a stupid machines, not a single thought about service, flexible pipes alway leaking at the connections, stupid machine....:(

tonto33
06-08-2008, 04:25 PM
changed the overload and checked the amperage which is drawing 3.3, compressor isnt spinin even wen looped out overload then changed it still no stat so think compressor NFG and have to scrap it unless any other thoughts