PDA

View Full Version : Frostfree Zanussi zfd50/17R too warm

angel50
05-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi,
Just found your site and thought you might be able to help. We have a zanussi frost free fridge freezer over 10yrs old. Has always worked very well. Now seems to be running all the time and fridge isn't getting cold enough, despite ice on back wall. Freezer is a bit snowy too. Have read similar posts on here and read something about freezer drain hole getting blocked- ours is now completely frozen up also noticed outside sides of fridge seem very cold. Does the drain hole cool the fridge from the freezer or is it cooled from the back panel? I realise it's probably on its way out but if there's anything I can do in the meantime so we don't get food poisoning or have to chuck out freezer food that would be helpful. Thanks.

tonto33
05-08-2008, 12:39 PM
need to get regas other words appliance on way out mite be easier to replace

angel50
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, what tells you it's a gas problem? Is it because the fridge is getting cold on the outside or is it because the back panel is icing?

nike123
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Defrost it thoroughly by switching off and open the door for 24-48 hr and then check if it cools like before. If it is, than your defrost heater or thermostat is faulty, or maybe air is getting in thru bad door seal.

casstrig
05-08-2008, 05:22 PM
when you mention the freezer getting snowy you are refering to ice formation I hope,this would indicate air infiltration or faulty door packing.Test this by trying to slide a piece of paper with the door closed between the packing and the jamb.Also as it is a no frost it will have a defrost timer,forward the timer to defrost and see if the heater comes on,also the fan should stop.

angel50
06-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I tried sliding a bit of paper through the seal and I can get it through the seal on the fridge and the freezer, there's no visible gap and the freezer does seem like it has a little bit of a vacuum when you open it, although I noticed the seal on the fridge is starting to split after 10years and it's not very springy any more!!. I will try the defrost 48hrs when I've used up the food in the freezer to see if we can squeeze a little more life out of it. I did mean the ice on the stuff at the front of the freezer was snowy. I measured the temp in the fridge it's 6.5 'c turned up to highest setting. It was 8c yeasterday. I have no control for the defrost cycle it just does it automatically. Thanks for your help!

taz24
06-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I tried sliding a bit of paper through the seal and I can get it through the seal on the fridge and the freezer, there's no visible gap and the freezer does seem like it has a little bit of a vacuum when you open it, although I noticed the seal on the fridge is starting to split after 10years and it's not very springy any more!!. I will try the defrost 48hrs when I've used up the food in the freezer to see if we can squeeze a little more life out of it. I did mean the ice on the stuff at the front of the freezer was snowy. I measured the temp in the fridge it's 6.5 'c turned up to highest setting. It was 8c yeasterday. I have no control for the defrost cycle it just does it automatically. Thanks for your help!

Your fridge is quite old at 10 years but don't give up on it yet. 7 to 10 years was the average but that is reducing to about 4 to 6 years nowadays.

You need to defrost it first.Turn it off open the door and pack towels round it. When the ice melts there will be a lot of water.
When you are sure that it is defrosted turn it on and leave it over night, by the next morning it should be down to temp if it is not then you may have a serious problem.

Even frost free freezers ice up somtimes so if it works let it run and you might be ok. If you want to go to the trouble you could remove the freezer door, take it outside and pour boiling water straight from the kettle down the door seal, while the seal is hot pull it out and away from the door a little bit ( the heat will soften the seal and it will go back to it orriginal position).

If the out side of the freezer is cold that should not be a problem but if condensation starts to form on the outside it indicates the insulation is breaking down, which can happen with age.

Cheers taz.

angel50
19-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi have used up stuff in freezer and defrosted fridge as you suggested, But as it's defrosted the back has sort of swelled out. Turned it back on and freezer's getting cold but fridge isn't. Is it safe to keep it turned on and use freezer while we wait a couple of days for the new one. I'm assuming it's the gas in it that's making it do that!

nike123
19-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi have used up stuff in freezer and defrosted fridge as you suggested, But as it's defrosted the back has sort of swelled out. Turned it back on and freezer's getting cold but fridge isn't. Is it safe to keep it turned on and use freezer while we wait a couple of days for the new one. I'm assuming it's the gas in it that's making it do that!

It looks like your defrost heater is constantly switched ON (hence swelling at back of fridge) if you did not puled plug from power supply during defrost.