PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice on Retraining for AC&R

Stu76
03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello all,
I am sure you get these posts all the time but I would appreciate any advice you can give.I have worked in the automotive industry for my working life and at 32 realise it is now or never for a career change.After considering all possible careers refrigeration/air conditioning engineer/technician was streets ahead of anything else.I dont expect walk into a job where the employer will pay for my training therefore I am willing to do it myself.I am hoping to attain the necessary qualifications in the shortest possible time,Ideally I would like to do them fulltime rather than 1 or 2 nights a week.If anyone can point me in the right direction or give a little advice on the best way to get into the industry I would be forever grateful.
Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Stu.
(I live in Durham NE England)

chemi-cool
03-08-2008, 04:00 PM
If you want to make money > plumber or a lawyer.
If you just want to work hard > fridgy

R1976
04-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Stu,

I have worked with a couple of mechanics and they seem to get on well in this industry, when trained.

I think Grimsby College is up your way. The advert is on this page as I type.

After qualification (NVQ 2 minimum) you should find most employers will take you on. I would say approx fifty per cent of the people I've met are not at all qualified.

All the best.

Peter_1
04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Stu-76, welcome aboard.
I'm from Belgium and can't guide you in the UK what to do. Anyhow, I like your first post and especially your attitude/approach and I can read through your post that you will achieve your goal.
Good luck.
But why refrigeration:o

guyeves
11-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi there, having left the army myself after 6 years i retrained and took my nvq refrigeration and air con course up in Doncaster... The course was 2 weeks and gave me the qualifications i needed, I put my Cv on various sites and waited patiently, finally the call came and had an interview and now im a trainee refrigeration/air con engineer!! Today was my first day so looking onwards and upwards!!!

phildo
23-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Guy,
Where was the 2 week course ? can you give some details ? a friend of mine wants to retrain

best regards,

phamilton987@aol.com