PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Help.

hampo69
04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
We have bought a laptop so we can enter the 'Wireless' revolution. It uses Windows Vista as the operating system.
We used to use a desktop running Windows XP.

Our problem relates to e-mail accounts. The desktop used Outlook Express to access e-mails. This gave us the option to click on individual accounts and enter passwords for access.
Vista uses Windows Mail. This just puts all the e-mails into one account. We have tried to add new user accounts to Windows Mail, but the mail still gets put into one account.

Is there a way to use Outlook Express in Vista?
Failing that, how do we get separate e-mail accounts with password protection??

Thanx for any help.

The Viking
04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I haven't got a clue, sorry, and THIS (http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/) link won't help you much either.

But if you click on/watch the "sad song" on the linked page, it just might get you to feel a bit better about it.

nike123
04-08-2008, 04:37 PM
We have bought a laptop so we can enter the 'Wireless' revolution. It uses Windows Vista as the operating system.
We used to use a desktop running Windows XP.

Our problem relates to e-mail accounts. The desktop used Outlook Express to access e-mails. This gave us the option to click on individual accounts and enter passwords for access.
Vista uses Windows Mail. This just puts all the e-mails into one account. We have tried to add new user accounts to Windows Mail, but the mail still gets put into one account.

Is there a way to use Outlook Express in Vista?
Failing that, how do we get separate e-mail accounts with password protection??

Thanx for any help.

This (http://www.google.com/) is your start page for a such questions!:D

Then, after typing something like this in Google "vista multiple mail account creating", you end up very easy with this link (http://www.vista4beginners.com/email-identities).
I hope that this helps. My approach would be to remove Vista and install XP.;)

hampo69
04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanx very much for that NIKE123.
I'll give it a go tonight.

old gas bottle
05-08-2008, 07:16 PM
son in laws a techy and he to has got rid of vista and gone back to xp.;)

frank
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Just download 'Thunderbird' off the net. It's free and leaves 'Express' for cold.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Josip
05-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi, all :)

....using vista almost one year up to now ... was not satisfied at all in the beginning, just opposite ... now is ok... need some time to became familiar with vista;)

... for mail I am using Outlook and G mail ... never outlook express ...

Best regards, Josip :)

hampo69
06-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanx for the replies.
I've used the info from NIKE123 and we can now get our own e-mails to our own user IDs. Stops other people reading about planned surprises and the like.

My trouble is I only think I know how to use a computer properly. Once I become a bit more knowledgable, I may poke a toe into using other mail programs.

brian_chapin
06-08-2008, 12:00 PM
....using vista almost one year up to now ... was not satisfied at all in the beginning, just opposite ... now is ok... need some time to became familiar with vista

Same here - now have it on my two newest machines and really have no idea why everyone hates it so much. My three older XP machines run fine, but the newer stuff really shines under vista.

nike123
06-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Same here - now have it on my two newest machines and really have no idea why everyone hates it so much.

Windows XP SP2 OS is stabile and reliable OS. Vista has some number of child diseases. Maybe, when they cure that diseases, people who don't care much about cool appearance will start to switch to Vista OS.;)

brian_chapin
07-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Windows XP SP2 OS is stabile and reliable OS. Vista has some number of child diseases. Maybe, when they cure that diseases, people who don't care much about cool appearance will start to switch to Vista OS.;)

I'd be interested in hearing about them - have been using computers since the VIC20 and am fairly familiar with their quirks. I have had far less stability and reliability issues under vista than under xp. In fact, in a year of use, I haven't crashed either vista pc which is a far better track record than my xp machines.

NoNickName
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I also had no crashes ever. My PC is ON 24/7. I only reboot when updates require to do so.

nike123
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd be interested in hearing about them - have been using computers since the VIC20 and am fairly familiar with their quirks. I have had far less stability and reliability issues under vista than under xp. In fact, in a year of use, I haven't crashed either vista pc which is a far better track record than my xp machines.

At beginning of Vista you could see lot of articles like this (http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/10/03/Microsoft-updates-Vista-speed-and-stability-again_1.html) who confirm that. Now we alredy have SP1 for Vista. Maybe now I should consider upgrading to Vista.

When Windows 95 has released, I did not switched to new OS just because of new OS. I waited till Windows 98 has become stable. I could do that way because, at that time, Windows 3.1 was good enough for applications I used. If I should need to use application who works only at Vista, then I would change to new OS immediately, but for now, I am happy with XPSP2.

That is my reasoning, yours could be totally different, as it is our taste in buying cars probably totally different (I would never buy new model of car in first two years of release).;)

slingblade
10-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, Vista. i too have recently purchased a wifi laptop with vista home basic. i am going to wipe it in favour of xp pro. no matter what i try or what software i use (nero-roxio-vso convertxtodvd) it turns dvd-r disks into drinks coasters rather than films. fully updated service pack etc. it even tries to format a blank cd-r ???.
useless, unfit for purpose. ive been burning avi files and iso's for years, never seen anything as difficult and problematic before.:mad:

RefrigNoob
02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
For me...
Buy Vista Ultimate...
Download Tiny Vista Rev 2 from a pirate torrent place and use that. 10x better than the real thing.

SteinarN
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
I will wait for Windows 7. One of my nephews has installed Windows 7 on his old (3 year) laptop. It runs like a charm. Requires less machine power and is speedier than Vista.