PDA

View Full Version : Inhaling 410A

chemi-cool
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have papers concerning the dangers of inhaling R 410A?

opt
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
how much are you talking about? If you inhale too much over a period of time it can build up in your lungs, but if its just a little once off i personally wouldnt be too concerned

chemi-cool
01-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Its not for me, I'm already addicted to refrigerants;).

It appears that young kids are inhaling refrigerants from split AC units, they believe it will make them stoned.

A few cases have been when boys lost conscience and fell off roofs to their deaths.

Its for a friend to explain the danger of inhaling refrigerants.

Argus
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Fluorocarbons, notably CFC 12 and some of the HCFCs have been used for decades as the pressure booster in medical inhalers – in fact it’s one of the few uses that are still tolerated in places that have banned CFCs. But we are talking of very minute quantities, probably a few tens of micrograms, mixed with other active drugs. But you probably know that already.

Thomas Midgely, who invented CFCs, used to inhale the stuff to demonstrate its non-harmful effects compared to other refrigerants in common use at the time, but that was before we knew much about it, and it wasn’t breathing CFCs that eventually killed him.

The European safety standards (EN 378) mentions cardiac sensitisation, as a result of prolonged exposure in the notes to the tables on dilution quantities that are allowed in confined spaces. The UK occupational safety rules (COSHH), classes the Fluorocarbons as asphyxiants and I have heard of over cases of sensitisation of the adrenal organs. What usually happens is that people keel over through lack of oxygen.

There’s no doubt that larger quantities can have unpredictable effects on the human body, especially immature metabolisms (in both senses of the word), and not necessarily, of a narcotic nature.

There are probably learned medical papers on the subject…. But you don’t need them to suggest it’s a bad idea.

frank
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
have a read of this Chemi http://www1.boc.com/uk/sds/special/r410a.pdf

chemi-cool
03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
You know Frank, I'm not surprised that there is no actual warnings from the manufacturers, dry info and thats it.

We are expandable, refrigerants are here to stay so what is the rush?

Only a major disaster will move something, or not.

Refrigerant manufacturers are like the oil companies, money talks.

I was just asked to lecture to a group of youngsters about the danger of inhaling refrigerant, hope they took something with them.