PDA

View Full Version : hard start kit

fast_murray
31-07-2008, 03:21 AM
I have an Arctic Air refrigerator in my vending trailer that I won't start when the air is running. Someone else I know had the same problem so they put me on to these hard start capacitors. While attempting to install it I couldn't locate a capacitor for the compressor. Its a Embraco EGU85HLP compressor and it has a yellow and a white wire going to it. Can I install the 2 wire capacitor to these 2 wires or am I out of luck?

Thanks,

Murray

Electrocoolman
31-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Murray,
How many wires (if any) has the hard start capacitor got? Who is the manufacturer. I'm wondering if its a combined relay/overload/capacitor unit.

Have you considered that low volts might be the problem...you mention 'when the air is on' ....is this airconditioning? .....how do you power your trailer.....via a long extension power lead? or perhaps from a generator?

Brian_UK
31-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi Murray and welcome to the forum.

This pdf file from Embraco may help with your wiring...
http://www.embraco.com.br/portugue/produtos/05005.pdf

also they have more technical documents available if needed....
http://www.embraco.com/ingles/produtos/moldura02.asp?item3=menu.htm&item4=informacoes_tecnicas_ing.htm&titulo=Embraco%20:::%20Informa%E7%F5es%20T%E9cnicas

fast_murray
01-08-2008, 01:34 AM
It has just 2 leads and the directions say to piggyback it the run capacitor. I'm trying to run this off a generator that has a 23.3 amp @ 120 volt rated plug. It runs fine by itself but not with the air on.

Thanks again,

Murray

Electrocoolman
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi Murray,
Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

The Generator is the problem. Although they state a certain output, which on the face of it will supply both units on their 'stated power requirements', in reality motor equipment requires a huge surge of power on startup, which the generator is unable to supply, especially when already supplying other equipment. This is like a 'brown out' .....ie voltage drop. Your generator must 'grunt' !!!

The hard start units that we can purchase over here in UK, are branded SUPCO....which is an american company, so I would imagine that they are available over there. You will obviously need 120v rated ones.

The units that I had in mind incorporate a capacitor, a relay and an overload.
Your equipment compressor will have an overload and a start relay. The overload will possibly be internal but most likely external. The kits come with instructions an have 5 connecting wires. 2 line in and 3 to connect to the compressor. You will need to know the h.p. rating of your compressor in order to buy the correct kit.
Hope this helps.