PDA

View Full Version : Flameproof AC Units

yinmorrison
30-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Anyone out there still involved in this type of equipment.I was involved in Design,Manufacture,Installation many years ago and wondered if there was still a Market for this equipment ie Oil,Military etc.

nevgee
31-07-2008, 12:00 AM
There is a market if you're brave enough to keep up to speed with ATEX:)
Petro Chem has many needs for refrig and AC .

I suppose it will depend on what you're wanting to do how you will need to approach the market. Reputation will need to be exceptional just to get thru the door. Lots of time spent on quotations and specs, with long procurement times ... you might need a second job to keep you busy while you wait for the big order to come in. :)

powell
31-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Anyone out there still involved in this type of equipment.I was involved in Design,Manufacture,Installation many years ago and wondered if there was still a Market for this equipment ie Oil,Military etc.
Would flameproof be the same as explosion proof?

smpsmp45
31-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Flame proof is the old English terminology for explosion proof. Used incorrectly I suppose. The term flameproof was an expression indicating that any explosion within the enclosure, motor housing etc would be released through gaps,called flame paths. These flame paths were the joints at end shields, shaft bearing housings, and joint box lids.
The flame paths were machined to set tollerances and had specific lengths so that any flame that would pass along the path would be cooled sufficiently enough to reduce its temperature so as not to be hot enough to ignite an exposive gas or dust.

Whereas explosion proof is just that .. any explosion within the enclosure is contained within it.

The US definitions were / are some what very different concept and not compatible with the old BASEEFA (british) standards.

I'm very rusty with the current standards but there are now different ideologies, flameproof, was particulary a concept used in the coal mining industry.

Other concepts use the principles of "non sparking" limited temeratures ect. But the advent of EU Directives "ATmosphere EXplosive" is an attempt to harmonise the standards ...it's become a bit of a minefield ...BOOM!
this is from old post

nevgee
31-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Flame proof is the old English terminology for explosion proof. Used incorrectly I suppose. The term flameproof was an expression indicating that any explosion within the enclosure, motor housing etc would be released through gaps,called flame paths. These flame paths were the joints at end shields, shaft bearing housings, and joint box lids.
The flame paths were machined to set tollerances and had specific lengths so that any flame that would pass along the path would be cooled sufficiently enough to reduce its temperature so as not to be hot enough to ignite an exposive gas or dust.

Whereas explosion proof is just that .. any explosion within the enclosure is contained within it.

The US definitions were / are some what very different concept and not compatible with the old BASEEFA (british) standards.

I'm very rusty with the current standards but there are now different ideologies, flameproof, was particulary a concept used in the coal mining industry.

Other concepts use the principles of "non sparking" limited temeratures ect. But the advent of EU Directives "ATmosphere EXplosive" is an attempt to harmonise the standards ...it's become a bit of a minefield ...BOOM!
this is from old post

It is from a post by me :eek: .......Hmm?
Is it Plagiarism or just a long quotation? :p:cool:

cvsaraf
09-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Hi Yin ,
I am interested to know about these Units / system can you share this with me? my email ID is E mail removed by moderator - please use the PM facility for contacts with the poster
I shall be great pleasure to learn some thing very different from you.