PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a pump to inverter

stevo
30-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Was wondering if & how many people use the N/C contacts on many condensate pumps to switch the unit off, when the pump reaches a high water level situation. these contacts are rated around 5amps (edc limpet) most high wall systems are power to indoors now !

ianybeany
30-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Wire the communication line through the switch in the pump, wont blow the 5 amp fuse and it will stop the unit from leaking any further

Andy AC
30-07-2008, 10:09 PM
If you are picking up power for the pump through the a/c unit make sure you wire it to a permanent live, the interconnects may only be live when the condenser is asked to run - depends on the type of unit. Also make sure you fuse it with an inline fuse or even better, a switch fused spur so you can isolate it properly.

On the mini pumps I don't usually bother with the n/c, n/o contacts because if it does reach the high level switch, chances are that the pump is knackered and if it did stop the cooling, the excess water still over flows either through the pump or drip tray anyway.

Andy

BritCit_Juve
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
I have found that with some manufacturers the units can have problems communicating if the comms wire is wired through the n/c contacts or even if the wire is taken through an isolator.
It would probably be better to connect the nuetral through the contact or not bother with it.
Also be careful with the bump choice as you will have to use either a pump with water sensor or one that uses temperature differential and provide the pump with a permanent supply from a local spur not the outgoing feed to the cu as this may be switched killing the pump when cooling is finished even if there is still water to remove
Brit

stevo
02-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, rang the suppliers & they said you could wire the contacts in series with a wire on the board which carries a fuse that would kill the o. u ! seems a lot of hassle to do this. We always use an unswitched fused spur for the pump supply anyway ! think i will have to take my chances with the delta pack, (not the troublesome mini limes).. :D

R1976
04-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi guys,

Wher do you get your in line fuses from and what type?

Andy AC
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
The last ones I had was actually a fused terminal block that I got from City Electrical Factors. It was just like a normal piece of terminal strip for your live, neutral and earth which had a fuse holder which you could put standard plug size fuses in, they came with a 3a fuse.
I haven't been able to get any for a while so I too could do with an alternative supplier.

Andy

R1976
04-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Andy,

I used to use them and have not been able to get them either. When I asked in CEF, they looked like I had arrived from another planet, usual counter staff.

I looked in RS but the fuse holders looked a bit dodgy.

Andy AC
04-08-2008, 11:05 PM
They looked alright to me, i'm gonna order some - less hassle than dealing with a member of CEF staff!
Does anybody know if you can use automotive fuses on 240v equipment? - a fuse is a fuse, isn't it? Cable ties direct have a range of in line fuse holders that use auto blade fuses.

Andy