PDA

View Full Version : Beer chiller

chalkie
30-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi all,
Am new to this so patience please.
I am recently qualified with mostly ac backround and experience.
I'm trying to find out more on beer chilling(Tap systems)I have a unit which looks like a bit of a back yard build.The system was running ok until being disconnected for reno's.Reno's are complete and I was asked to reconnect the system.Lines are now frezing up
A brief description of the the system is as follows please forgive me for the possible technical misdescriptions but will try and paint the picture as best I can.
The system has a refrig unit which chills water in a resivoir.The water is then pumped out of the rsvr to the taps?? Water is icing up on the coil in the rsvr and in the taps.Do I need glycol added,how much??
The kegs are in aseperate cabinet next to the water chiller,which is directly below the counter with 4 beer taps.Basically I need a description of what is the piping route of the water pipes,Is the coil designed to ice up,there is an agitator on a motor which has siezed.The active to this motor has beeen disconnected prior to my first visit.Is this agitator crucial.How do I flush the water lines. Help

taz24
30-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi all,
Am new to this so patience please.
I am recently qualified with mostly ac backround and experience.
I'm trying to find out more on beer chilling(Tap systems)I have a unit which looks like a bit of a back yard build.The system was running ok until being disconnected for reno's.Reno's are complete and I was asked to reconnect the system.Lines are now frezing up
A brief description of the the system is as follows please forgive me for the possible technical misdescriptions but will try and paint the picture as best I can.
The system has a refrig unit which chills water in a resivoir.The water is then pumped out of the rsvr to the taps?? Water is icing up on the coil in the rsvr and in the taps.Do I need glycol added,how much??
The kegs are in aseperate cabinet next to the water chiller,which is directly below the counter with 4 beer taps.Basically I need a description of what is the piping route of the water pipes,Is the coil designed to ice up,there is an agitator on a motor which has siezed.The active to this motor has beeen disconnected prior to my first visit.Is this agitator crucial.How do I flush the water lines. Help

Hello and wellcome.

You got my attention with BEER in the title :o.

The water in the resevoir will freeze around the pipes. The water is then agitated and pumped up to the pumps (normal water only). The beer lines should run to the pumps with these water lines and all is insulated in insulation and taped up. If it is the same type of system as they are in the uk the pipes from the beer kegs go through the water resevoir and is then chilled in the water and then pumped to the beer taps by gas pressure. The water is circulated by a pump.

We know the systems as remotes ( remote 6 = 6 pipes off or remote 8 = 8 pipes of remote 12 = 12 off ect) and the insulated pipe is a python, as in the snake).

If your system is different tell me to mind me own buisness if it is right the water temp is controled by a thermostat and it should not freeze the pumps up but it will cause the moisture in the air to condense out onto them (sales gimmick = cold beer):cool:.

Hope I've helped

taz.

KevinRPS
30-07-2008, 11:40 PM
The agitator is crucial to stop the tank turning to a soild block of ice, most of this older units use a ice thicknes sensor which clips to coil, this often falls off when units are taken out of service (they get knocked of as ice defrosts and falls) check tank, if this is off you will need to fully defrost tank to refit, also make sure your pumps are working ok