PDA

View Full Version : R290 /R290a

CONROD
28-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Whats the difference between R290 + R290a. Got an iarp freezer cabinet short of gas, stamped as R290. Wholesaler stocks 1kg cannisters of R290a, don't know if this is the same. Understand you can vent to atmosphere if the charge is under 250g? Also best to weigh in new charge for accuracy? Any advise appreciated!

Chunk
28-07-2008, 11:03 PM
R290 is Propane R290a is isopropane which is a butane/propane mix.

As i dont have any dealings with either at present,i cant tell you how to work with it.Sorry.

Malcool
16-10-2008, 02:41 PM
i,m looking for advice with this gas too any things i have to do that are different from the usual gases ,obviously the explosive situation has to be taken into account can you help

Tony
16-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Go to acrib.org.uk

They have a 'Guidance note on Hydrocarbon systems'

Latte
16-10-2008, 10:16 PM
i,m looking for advice with this gas too any things i have to do that are different from the usual gases ,obviously the explosive situation has to be taken into account can you help

Well first thing to do is get youreself on a care course. I must admit i had serious doubts about Care refrigerents with regards to explosions but this is all explained on the courses and in face unless you have the exact concentration gas/oxyen then its ok.
Basicly its common sense, vent safely, blow through with ofn, cut pipes if poss, watch out for static sparks.
Nothing a half competent engineer wouldnt already know but the Care course has got to be youre first step.

Still not convinced about the practicality of it though, too many compressors failing when condenser fans go. No one can still give me an answers why though

Latte

rob kerr
28-10-2008, 07:59 AM
does anyone know what TXV to use on a R290 system, can you use the same valveas used on an R22 system

The MG Pony
28-10-2008, 04:08 PM
does anyone know what TXV to use on a R290 system, can you use the same valveas used on an R22 system

so far I have found them to opperate fine, with some adjustment of the SH.

BobTheBull
08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
R290a, isopropane?

R600 is butane, and R600a is isbotane. But I have not heard of any compound isoprpane. If it was a blend of propane it would not be listed under the R290 designation, as that is derived from the chemical formula, and it would have to be a capitol A, not a lowercase a.

wilsoncheung
17-01-2009, 05:53 AM
What kind of situation will R290 be used? Is this kind of refrigerant widely used? I know this is natural refrigerant with low ODP and GWP, but isn't it explosive?

The MG Pony
20-01-2009, 08:50 PM
No oxygen no boom, that simple.

wilsoncheung
21-01-2009, 07:04 AM
There will always be oxygen surrounding us. How can it be no oxygen?

The MG Pony
21-01-2009, 07:12 PM
well inside the system one should demand no oxygen, if your kit is so badly leaking as to allow enough gas out of it to combust you have much more dire issues other then the gases ability to combust!

In other words, if the gas stays where it is meant to there is zerro danger of fire, and properly made system, even if such a bad leak where to be formed, still no danger!

There is no such thing as a dangerous substance only the person handling it is dangerous!

Blueboy
24-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I have done a lot with R290 / Care 40 lately. I have got to tell that putting gas that can blow up in a refrigerant system seems wrong to me.

However my findings are as follows:- The units I have worked on have all been Walls ice cream freezers in various sizes shapes and styles. The biggest problem seems to be blocked capillary although I have changed a few compressors.

Before you work on one do a CARE course - it might save your hands and eyes

The capillary seems to become clogged with oil and can be very difficult to clear, often cutting a inch off the end has been the only way. Obviously after blowing through OFN to around 300 psi first.

On the subject of what TEV or EEV to use it it needs a valve its to big use another type of gas.

YOU MUST WEIGH IT IN - The systems I have worked on run almost in a vacuum, it important to get it right they all seem to take less than 100g 0.1kG some as little as 40g so they are very easy to over charge.

I hope this is helpfull