PDA

View Full Version : Portable/Monobloc a/c units - Condenser heat discharge to water?

electro
28-07-2008, 04:57 PM
A mate was telling me he bought one of those monobloc a/c units, you know the horrid type B&Q sell for £150 odd that are 9000Btu, run on R407C gas and somehow manage to achieve fairly minimal cooling while using 2kw of electric.

Most window kits that are supplied with those units are uselsss as their only designed for sliding windows. (less common over here)

The single-exhaust-pipe design is flawed because you're emptying the room's (possibly cool) air while running the unit, twin-pipe units exist but seem to be expensive.

Some expensive monobloc units have detached condenser fan/coils that can be put ourdoors to eliminate having large ducts going out of the windows, but reading one site these seem to have refrigerant passing between them, I think that's a recipe for disaster, as the pipe will get kinked and trapped in doors etc, and eventually split, leak, and give the world a faster sun tan.

Why haven't any manufacturers created a mobile, split unit that exchanges its heat to the outside world using a water circuit? It would be a hell of a lot easier to plumb in and dis-assemble when required, with no need to mess with refrigerants etc, just fill up with water and away you go.

Thoughts?

Hope everyone is happy :D :cool::cool:

Prince Vaillant
28-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Airwell do one but they cost so much to run i.e. the amount of water they use that there really is no point to them.

electro
28-07-2008, 05:35 PM
They *use* water?? it would be a closed water circuit (think car engine and radiator)

sinewave
28-07-2008, 07:01 PM
It'll never happen as the Manufs can not be arsed to make such a device for virtualy zero demand.

We can't even get the premier brands of A/C manuf' to make an Air conditioning condensor with a decent ratchet type valve as used in the majority of Refrigeration condensors rather than the crappy shraiders that leak left right and centre or when ever they feeel like it! :mad:

The Viking
28-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Ehem...

Have a look HERE (http://www.andrews-sykes.com/air-conditioning/portable-air-conditioners/pac22-portable-air-conditioner.php)

(Not much new under the sun I'm afraid)

electro
28-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah that's the kinda thing Viking, if only it was available in smaller sizes, LoL!
Wern't there such devices in smaller sizes for Marine use?

coolflow
28-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi i work for andrews ac and we use a portable ac that can achive 22000btu on a plug(13 amp), and it has a built in heat to water exchanger. You can put 40-50 m of pipe that carry the water to a fan coil . it is made by calorex a well known supplyer .so it is possible (but they wiegh a ton!!!)

coolflow
28-07-2008, 10:14 PM
And Electro how do you get a power rep of 8 with only 62 posts.Is it becouse you live near brian in devon and av influenses bro??

Brian_UK
28-07-2008, 10:29 PM
And Electro how do you get a power rep of 8 with only 62 posts.Is it becouse you live near brian in devon and av influenses bro??
He hasn't got any influence on me :o

I think that he must have sucked up to a few other folks on his way there :cool:

It is a bit fishy though isn't it ? ;);)

Brian_UK
28-07-2008, 10:32 PM
It'll never happen as the Manufs can not be arsed to make such a device for virtualy zero demand.

We can't even get the premier brands of A/C manuf' to make an Air conditioning condensor with a decent ratchet type valve as used in the majority of Refrigeration condensors rather than the crappy shraiders that leak left right and centre or when ever they feeel like it! :mad:Sorry slightly :off topic:.

It is, unfortunately, a case of supply and demand.

The customer doesn't demand it because it will cost more money to buy.

The manufacturer won't fit it because it costs more money and nobody wants to pay the extra.

So, don't blame the manufacturer, blame the customer.

eggs
28-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Come on peeps, get with it, scroll to the end then turn your head upside down. (http://www.artelaircon.co.uk/t_downloads/Doppio_water.pdf) Not had chance to try one yet.

Eggs

The Viking
28-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Eggs,

On the document--->
Right click
Then select [rotate clockwise]
Right click again
Then select [rotate clockwise] again...

Much easier than turning the screen around!

electro
29-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Rep power of 8 with such small posts? hmm yeah that is a bit weird eh! (beer money is in the post, Brian)
:D

coolflow
29-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Lol lots I wish i could edit my profile so i is got 10 reps under my belt with 37 posts.then i would be saying WHOS THE DADDY!!!!!

The MG Pony
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Make your own, Thats whay I did!