PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure and diff trip

Mish
25-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey can anyone please expain what role oil plays in a system. I work with industrial systems in a food processing factory. Most compressors are carlye reciprocating type. How do i measure oil pressure and add more if required?

NoNickName
25-07-2008, 08:22 PM
If the compressor has got the oil pump, the pump pressure can be measured on the flare joint on top of the oil pump (usually). More often you may be interested in diff. pressure, so you have to subtract suction pression from oil pressure and make sure it is greater than specified by carlyle.
Oil is not added based on pressure or diff. pressure, but on quantity. For that, look at the sight glass, either in the compressor or oil separator, if any at all, and add until spec., usually half way of the sight glass.

GXMPLX
25-07-2008, 08:39 PM
It seems you have a lot of LP/Oil related problems... or homework?
Haven't done a homework in few days so ...

Functions of oil hmmm...that's an easy one!

Oil LUBRICATES!
Transfers heat from where it is produced to where it doesn't hurt...except...
May be used to move some parts hydraulically
Cleans off metal particles produced by NATURAL use wear.

Not familiarized with Carlyle but you generally measure oil pressure with calibrated gages connected at the compressor crankcase and pump outlet.

If you are asking these questions PLEASE DO NOT ADD OIL INTO THE SYSTEM.

If the system has pressure it is done usually with a hand pump into the crankcase but several other places may be as good and several other methods may be as good.

chemi-cool
25-07-2008, 09:35 PM
oil pressure in Carlyle's is low compare to other makes, therefore a lot of oil pressure problems.

On the other hand, the oil filter is internal and unreachable, [state of the art :eek:]

Oil pressure controls should be set to a minimum.

Grizzly
25-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Welcome Mish.
LOG ONTO THE SITE LINK ATTACHED AND LOTS OF OIL RELATED QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED.
ALSO SEARCH THE SITE AS THERE IS A VERY COOD COMPRESSOR BOOKLET
ON ONE OF THE PAGES.
STEVE.
SORRY HAD CAPS LOCK ON AND COULD NOT BE BOTHERED TO RETYPE ONCE I HAD REALISED.
NO OFFENCE MEAN'T.

http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV24_ETI1242,00.html#129081b