PDA

View Full Version : Is Sight Glasses and liquid indicator a same thing?

compressor
24-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Is Sight Glasses and liquid indicator a same thing?

ka2414
24-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Not as such. A sight glass is just a viewing port. However, alot of sight glasses also have a moisture indicator in them in the form of either an outer ring or central dot that changes colour.

Ka2414

powell
24-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Is Sight Glasses and liquid indicator a same thing?
You posted pictures in another forum so I know you are referring to the typical liquid line sight glasses we use.

A sight glass shows the state of the refrigerant in the system.

So yes, some call it a liquid indicator because that's the state of the refrigerant we want to see in the liquid line after the receiver.

Then as ka2424 stated, it's not always a moisture indicator.

GXMPLX
24-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Though my English is not too good, I'd say sight glasses are a subset of liquid indicators.

They could be synonyms for someone that works in air conditioning, domestic or commercial refrigeration but not for someone working in industrial refrigeration.

compressor
24-07-2008, 02:56 PM
thank you, 3 friends, i saw sight glasses on castel's website and saw liquid indicator on danfoss's website, it made me confused and now i understand, thanks.

taz24
24-07-2008, 11:13 PM
thank you, 3 friends, i saw sight glasses on castel's website and saw liquid indicator on danfoss's website, it made me confused and now i understand, thanks.

Somtimes liquid level sight glasses (indicators) are put on recievers and oil resavoirs to indicate the liquid levels inside. When they do that they somtimes have a plastic pip inside the glass that floats on the liquid to prove the level..

Cheers taz.