PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoint Mistral Plus not working

juiceman
24-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Recently the freezer has been dropping down to -17C and we've been hitting the fast-freeze to bring it back to -22C.
Tonight it seems to have totally knackered.
Fridge was up to +8C and freezer up to -11C.
We took the front cover off and cleared the dust off the front right. Then we opened the back and the fan was running but a bit of dust on the motor.

Then, we turned off the whole thing at the plug to clean the fan blades (bad idea). Now the fridge/freezer won't turn back on... I don't think we damaged any connections on the motor.

I've sellotaped the door closed switch shut. Tried turning it on/off a couple of times.
Nothing seems to make it come back on. When I put my ear to it I can't hear anything going on inside it.

Temperatures are up to -6C for the freezer and +14C for the fridge.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

taz24
24-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Recently the freezer has been dropping down to -17C and we've been hitting the fast-freeze to bring it back to -22C.
Tonight it seems to have totally knackered.
Fridge was up to +8C and freezer up to -11C.
We took the front cover off and cleared the dust off the front right. Then we opened the back and the fan was running but a bit of dust on the motor.

Then, we turned off the whole thing at the plug to clean the fan blades (bad idea). Now the fridge/freezer won't turn back on... I don't think we damaged any connections on the motor.

I've sellotaped the door closed switch shut. Tried turning it on/off a couple of times.
Nothing seems to make it come back on. When I put my ear to it I can't hear anything going on inside it.

Temperatures are up to -6C for the freezer and +14C for the fridge.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

You are in a pickle arn't you :eek:

Normally I don't like giving advice to complete novices because you could do more harm to yourself or the equipment.

I will give you a few pointers, but I would recomend you calling an engineer who will have the tools and equpment to repair it fully.

The ponters then.

Unplug it from the wall double check you have not loosend any cables or pulled out any cables.
Put all the panels back and let the thing stand for about 24hours to ensure that there is no ice in the freezer compartment at all. Pack towels around the bottom because if there is ice it will melt and overflow.
After it has stood for 24 hours put a new fuse in the plug and plug it back in.
After 2 hours if it is not down to temp you will need to get someone to look at it, if it fails to run, you will need to get someone to look at it.

Not what you wanted to here maybe but they can be temprimental somtimes and only someone who is experienced with them knows what to look for.

All the best taz.

344martin
25-07-2008, 05:51 PM
On some of these hotpoints, if you unplug without setting controls to "off" the control module detects power failure and defaults to a non-start mode. If the appliance has 2 control knobs, when you plug it back in, turn them both to off and then straight away to on. The unit will not start straight away, but will wait 8 minutes before springing intro life.

superswill
25-07-2008, 06:46 PM
try this past link for info that might help

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10800

juiceman
10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
You are in a pickle arn't you :eek:

Normally I don't like giving advice to complete novices because you could do more harm to yourself or the equipment.

I will give you a few pointers, but I would recomend you calling an engineer who will have the tools and equpment to repair it fully.

The ponters then.

Not what you wanted to here maybe but they can be temprimental somtimes and only someone who is experienced with them knows what to look for.

All the best taz.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

After leaving it for a while and then turning it back on and off a couple more times it finally decided to work.
After this it seems to be working normally (the engineer who came said nothing was wrong with it) so it may have been the dust buildup at the bottom.

We did phone an engineer but they couldn't come for a week or something and we kinda needed most of the food for the next day. :D

Again, thanks for the reply. :)