PDA

View Full Version : samsung sr-s20 defrosting problem

sork
21-07-2008, 10:41 AM
hi everyone , i am working on a side by side samsung sr-s2028. the unit runs normally on refrigeration cycle and everything is perfect, until it enters defristing mode, then it will not re-start and i must turn it off and on again ,until the next defrosting time. i was suggested that the thermal fuse on the fridge campartment was faulty, i measured it found no continuity, so, i replaced the fuse, but the problem is not solved yet. if you can help, please do so. i checked the resistance on the heaters, they seem ok, i was told the board is being replaced.:confused:

colicool
21-07-2008, 01:30 PM
If you turn the fridge freezer off for a minute and then back on again it should show a fault code on the panel, but if the heater and the temp limiter are ok have you checked the evaporator sensor, and have you checked all these components in the freezer?

sork
22-07-2008, 10:24 AM
hi thanks yes .but it is a four botton front panel, does not have error code.
i replaced the thermal fuse, but no luck, i was told to replace the coil senser in the fridge compartment. what you recommend?

sork
22-07-2008, 01:03 PM
i replaced the thermal fuse, defrosting prob not solved and,
i checked the thermal fuse after a week,is already blown. ie no continiuity found,what do you think is the cause

colicool
23-07-2008, 09:05 AM
If the thermal fuse has blown then it is probably the evaporator sensor that is at fault

colicool
23-07-2008, 09:10 AM
the fault code is displayed as part of the numerical display, when you switch back on the fridge performs a diagnostic check and one or two lines of the fridge or freezer temp will light, that is the fault code, if you can tell me your email address i can send you the service manual in pdf

sork
23-07-2008, 07:52 PM
colin thanks i tried to e-mail you my e-mail address but , e-mails retured .

hi colin and thank you for you kind reply and help, i describe the problem;

the unit operates OK until it enters defrost cycle, it will not restart (does not enter ref cycle) and the temperature shoots up (obviously). i must turn the unit off and on again from the wall socket. i was told the thermal fuse was gone i. e no continuity, i replaced the thermal fuse. but the problem was not solved. after one week i check the fuse, the new one is gone as well. i wish to know why is it burnt the thermal fuse, if it does not defrost? i was about to change the coil sensor (you called it evap sensor) but i thought if i change evap sensor i need to replace the thermal fuse again, i do not know what to do, but the unit is operating i have to turn it off 2-3 times in 24 hours, which is not professional. The front panel has four button . anything will help me manual or tech support or...

sork

zola25
06-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Colin i am having almost the same problem it would be great if you could send me the error codes or the PDF manual.The display shows 4 on the fridge side when you switch it on or a single horizontal line which is the bottom of a number 8 if you know what i mean.
You can email me at davidhills64@hotmail.com

colicool
07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi David, I’m happy to help but the model you have given me is incomplete ie; SR-S20***** (an extra 2 numbers, three letters) I'v sent you an email with service manual for SR-S2028CVW attached, Regards, Colin

Hi Colin i am having almost the same problem it would be great if you could send me the error codes or the PDF manual.The display shows 4 on the fridge side when you switch it on or a single horizontal line which is the bottom of a number 8 if you know what i mean.
You can email me at davidhills64@hotmail.com

zola25
07-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi again Colin that is the right model but did not get the email hotmail is not that good anymore does not seem to like attatchments.
Could you please send it again to this email david.p.hills@gmail.com
Thanks for the help
David

mitch98
26-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi,

I am also having the same problem. Pulling my hair out to be honest. I was told to replace the thermo fuse and the defrost sensor. Did both of them and the same problem. Having to turn it off at least twice a day. Very annoying. When I turn mine off and on a 3 appears on the display very quickly.
Please help.
My email address is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

colicool
27-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I am also having the same problem. Pulling my hair out to be honest. I was told to replace the thermo fuse and the defrost sensor. Did both of them and the same problem. Having to turn it off at least twice a day. Very annoying. When I turn mine off and on a 3 appears on the display very quickly.
Please help.
My email address is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks
Hi, 3 on the display indicates a load defect, I think your problem here is the defrost heater in the fridge compartment but you need to do a resistance check to confirm that, the only problem is that the defrost heater comes as part of the evaporator and you need special equipment to change that. The defrost heater can be changed without fitting the evaporator as well by gently unpicking the heater from the evaporator but it's a bit tricky. please check the resistance of the defrost heater first though and remember the same components are in the freezer as well, Colin

amitsaxena
24-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Dear This is a problem of controller as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator.

colicool
25-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Dear This is a problem of controller as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator.
Hi, I doubt this is a problem with the controller, it is more likely to be a fault with the evaporator sensor in the fridge or freezer depending on which one is staying on defrost

amitsaxena
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Dear Colicool,

I have encountered this type of problem hence
"problem of controller" as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator, is more logical. Thanks

bazzey
29-12-2009, 08:49 AM
hi colin I am having a similar problem of fridge/freezer sr s2028cvw not coming out defrost cycle, service manual would be a big help.

my email is hotchudasama@btinternet.com

colicool
30-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Hi Bazzey, I'll send you the manual, but your problem is certainly a fault with either defrost heater or evaporator sensor and thermal fuse, all three components are also in the freezer, good luck, Colin

Steve B
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi, Colin. I am also having problems with a SRS2028. A service manual would be a great help. Thank you. :D
email: sjbcs@tiscali.co.uk

DocMcCoy
10-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Colin
I have a SR-S2026CVW Serial Number 4437-43CW200345D, american style FF and experiencing the following problems:
The display reads -20 for the freezer and 2 for the fridge, however inside both compartments feel warm. I placed in a thermometer and found the freezer to be -5 and the fridge to be +5. I carried out an Irish reset (power off/on) and the display then read the correct temperatures and the compressor started up. This woked fine until it reached temperature and x amount of time later, I checked and it was warm inside again.
I bought a different FF and put this in the garage in the hope of repairing it someday. That day came just before Christmas, when my wife wanted me to get it going again for the extra space that we needed and still need now.
So I powered it up again and experienced the same faults as above and the after a while, it started tripping out the RCD on my electricity supply. I watched the display when I powered it up and the fridge side lit up and after a few seconds the was a click (I presume a relay ) and the the RCD went out. I have not tried since because of still looking for information to help me out.
I am an engineer in the Injection Moulding business and am well experienced in electrics, electronics, pneumatics and hydraulics, but this is doing my head in. I have no service manual, drawings of much experience on refigeration problems. Can you please help me?
Best Regards

Chrisjoefc
24-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Hi
having prob with freezer defrosting freezer temp starts flashing after a couple of hours a service manual would be great if someone could email me one cheers ff is sr-s2028cvw.

Chrisjoefc@googlemail.com thanks

Nikos787
25-01-2010, 05:49 PM
hi colicool, i have the same problem with my sr-s2026cvw plz may i have the manual/ info.

Cheers Nikos787@msn.com

minesh10
13-02-2010, 02:47 PM
hi.. it seems like this is a common problem with this fridge freezer..

i also have a samsung sr-s2028cvw model and am experiance the same defrost cycle problem...

can i please get a copy of the service manual...my email addy is minesh_patel10@yahoo.co.uk...

where can i locate the defrost thermostat to check the resistance and the thermo fuse??

any help much appreciated

brandyman
18-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Hi
I have Samsung SR-S2028CVW.

It went wrong in 2005 with symptoms similar to what others have described here.

Engineer removed back panel in fridge compartment and changed component and everything worked fine until recently.

Temperature displays sit at -18 and +4 but both freezer and fridge compartments feel warm. Turn off power at wall and then switch back on and temperature readings are completely different. Say +1 for freezer and +10 for fridge. However, compressor fires up and eventually temperature indicators go to -18 and +4 where they remain even though the temperatures inside the freezer and fridge compartments rise. I had to keep switching of the unit about 3 time a day to maintain a workable temperature.

In the past week when switching the unit off then back on it reaches -18 and +4 but now the freezer reading is continually flashing on and off unless I do a power reset. Fridge reading stays at +4 despite internal temperature of fridge rising.

When switching the power off and then back on the number three appears briefly where the fridges temparature appears (possibly fault code) After a second or so it disappears and then then both freezer & fridge tempatures appear.

Have place external thermometers with internal probes in each compartment and both fridge and freezer compartments are sitting at about +13. The compressor is not running unless I turn power off and back on whereby it gets up to its indicated temparatures of -18 and +4 but then temperatures start rising again.

Had engineer out today who checked service history on laptop of previous repair and pressed a few buttons on the fridge/freezer and said a new compressor was required and this was indicated by fridge/freezer not indicating a fault code. I am assuming from his analysis that there is only one compressor that serves both freezer and fridge. As unit is under extended warranty he doubts whether insurance company will cover the cost of replacing this item. He also mentioned some other item that would need replacing but I cannot remember what that was.
I beleive that the the figure 3 mentioned above was a fault code. I also think this fault is the same as what happened previously which resulted in a fairly easy fix.

I am no expert but from what I am reading on here it appears the engineers approach may not be correct. He missed seeing the possible fault code I see eveytime I power the fridge/freezer on and off. Infact he was in and out the door within 5 minutes and most of that was spent on his laptop.

I obvoiusly would prefer the unit to be repaired.
If, as he suggests, the insurance company will not sanction the replacement of the compressor, additional item and associated labour then they are likely to offer a reduced refund towards the cost of a replacement. Something I would rather not get into.

Soory for long nature of post but want to make sure all facts are give.

Any thoughts - Thanks

happy
18-02-2010, 04:18 PM
The "3" is not a fault code. The appliance will not store fault codes if it is being switched off/on. The fault you describe sounds typical of defrost heater failure. Appliance will run until defrost cycle, then will not come out of defrost because no temperature rise has been sensed. Pressing and holding top two buttons together will show a fault indicated by a lit segment, the appliance needs to be left plugged in and on for 12-18 hours to register a fault code.

colicool
19-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi Branyman, I've sent you an email with my guess as to your problem, best of luck, please email if you need any further help, colicool

jens rytter
19-04-2010, 09:45 PM
hi colin I am having a similar problem of fridge/freezer sr s2028cvw , service manual would be a big help.

my email is jens_rytter@privat.dk

mitch98
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Still got the same problem can someone help please. Fridge freezer is not cooling at all. Same problem as everyone else is having. Has anyone managed to fix there problems listed above?

My email is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Please help... the service manual might be a good start.
Thanks

Reeferman27
06-06-2010, 07:45 PM
I went to a similar fault the other day. My diagonisis was a seized/ burnt out compressor causing the overheat safety to trip a few seconds after the comp tried to start from power on. The unit had been attempting to run for a few days so the comp was already super hot. R600a and only 2.1 years old, just out of warranty. All the same symptoms as above.

tonto33
06-06-2010, 09:01 PM
error codes are listed on this site but if need them can email them

paul fridge
13-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Colin

am have the same problem any chance of emailing the manual for sr-s2028cvw and error codes on display

email address pauljfaulkner@yahoo.co.uk

cheers

Paul

yasinpatel
29-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Hi Colin

am have the same problem any chance of emailing the manual for sr-s2028cvw and error codes on display

email address yasinpatel@hotmail.com

cheers

Yas

george111
30-06-2010, 11:46 AM
hi all not to sure if in right area in forum, i have a walkin freezer size 8*8 but they temp staying around -11 not getting higher but inside i can see a ice building up on the grill where cold air blow out. any advice pls

stevesmifff
27-07-2010, 06:43 PM
If the fridge cools then after 6 to 8 hours defrosts you need to change , thermal fuse, defrost sensor and heater, its as easy as that.The fridge is going into a defrost but because the heater is not working no rise in temp is detected until its defrosted.
I can supply all these parts , just let me know .

STUART PEAR
03-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi I have a sr-s2028 cvw suffering from exactly the problems described,so guess it will probably be the fridge defrost heater. can some one email me a copy of the service manual please.
thanks
Stuart.

JackyFoxx
13-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Colin
I have a SR-S2026CVW Serial Number 4437-43CW200345D, american style FF and experiencing the following problems:
The display reads -20 for the freezer and 2 for the fridge, however inside both compartments feel warm. I placed in a thermometer and found the freezer to be -5 and the fridge to be +5. I carried out an Irish reset (power off/on) and the display then read the correct temperatures and the compressor started up. This woked fine until it reached temperature and x amount of time later, I checked and it was warm inside again.
Best Regards

Hi there

I am a newby but found this forum really interesting. I have a Samsung SRS2029CSS Cool n Cool side by side and we are experiencing exactly the same as the poster above. I rang Samsung UK and the guy on the other end sounded like he'd just got out of bed and was totally dis-interested in my problem!! I had a friend round last night who is an excellant refrigeration engineer but doesn't do domestic anymore and nearly died when he realised it was a Samsung. He said these are brilliant machines when they work but a nightmare when they go wrong and it always seems to be the same problem. Ours has always sat and worked comfortably at -21 freezer and 3 for fridge. The fridge seems ok although not really cold but the freezer is still showing -21 but is now not freezing. I keep switching on and off like everyone else on here, the motor kicks in, reading goes to about 9 and it starts to freeze then as soon as temperature reaches -21 it starts to defrost. I love this side by side it has the home bar where you don't have to open the whole door to get to the milk it's a brilliant idea but I cannot believe that after just 6 years it has broken down. I originally had an Amana in my previous house. Its still there parked up in the garage and will probably outlive me but unfortunately it is sooooo big and far too big for this house which already had the Samsung in situ. Help I really don't know what to do and fear we are about to be ripped off by an engineer big time!! Would it be cheaper to get another FF or have this one fixed? My refrigeration engineer friend said if we can find out the problem and get the parts my partner could fix easily as he is an engineer himself although not in refrigeration but he also said it could be difficult to get the parts as Samsung don't make it easy!! Any answers??

Kind ones
Jacky

rdbartle
17-11-2010, 10:23 AM
hi having same problem with a sr s2028cvw :mad: can you supply manual /fault codes i am an a/c engineer and the misses is giving me some grief now :confused:
thanks richard email address is rdbartle@tiscali.co.uk

thewilson99
24-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi, I am lucky enough to have a Samsung S RS 2028CSS showing the same symptoms many have described.
Fridge pulls down to set temp in 3 - 4 hours but then warms up. I have tried the diagnostic test - I pressed Quick freeze and Vacation for 8 secs as described on the back of the unit. Everything on the display flashes then a beep then blank display for about 15 secs then back to normal. If I switch off, switch on 3 is displayed on the fridge side before normal display on fridge and freezer.
An engineer called and said it must be the control PCB.
That sounds expensive. Any thoughts what the lack of error code means?

cameraman
25-11-2010, 10:11 AM
The 3 that is lit up in the fridge section when turning the appliance on is normal. It shows when the module is running it's diagnostic test for the first few seconds before the fridge starts up and is NOT an error code.

cameraman
25-11-2010, 10:15 AM
if you want to know the error code then press quick freeze and vacation buttons at same time for more than 8 seconds. the display beeps and a segment will light up to indicate where the fault is. worked on over a thousand samsungs during the past 10 years

CMEX
28-04-2011, 08:12 PM
the fault code is displayed as part of the numerical display, when you switch back on the fridge performs a diagnostic check and one or two lines of the fridge or freezer temp will light, that is the fault code, if you can tell me your email address i can send you the service manual in pdf

Hi Colicool, Whuold you please to send me service manual for sr-s20... to cmex3abcex(et)hotmail(point)com
Thanks

Magic8
16-05-2011, 03:12 PM
New to this, so here goes !
We have a Samsung SR-S2028CVW SS20WH3/XEU, there two (seperate, I think) problems, firstly, every 8weeks or so we have to take the fridge apart and manualy defrost, or leave the unit switched off for a couple of days to defrost, as the fan starts to hit the ice build up. The wife is getting very fed up with this !
Secondly, the ice maker works, but the dispenser doesnt, you can hear it buzzing, but the flap you press to dispense then jams in and no ice is dispensed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I have manged to download a user manual, but could some body point me in the direction of a Maintenance Manual and Fault codes, thanks.

LonelyCloud
30-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

Though many seem to encounter this problem with the Samsung SR-S2028CVW, noone has reported successfully resolving the issue.

*Has anyone resolved it?
*What was the resolution?

*I agree with @cameraman (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?52010-cameraman) - the 3 is NOT an error code
*using the codes kindly provided by @tonto33 (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?6050-tonto33) and the error codes on the back of the refrigerator, the error being displayed is either 3 R-DEF-SENSOR ERROR or 4 R-FAN ERROR (sorry - I cant recall exactly which light was lit, but I suspect 4)

Thanks in advance, folks and folksesses!
:cool:

tonto33
31-08-2011, 08:54 AM
lonelycloud
you need this kit to fix your samsung
http://partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=1497397&query=SR%2dS2028CVW

LonelyCloud
31-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your response and link @tonto33.

*the image (of the part) on the site states 'twin cooling', but the existing part reads 'ref evaporator'. I'm assuming the image is just representative?
*The site states 'Includes Motor & Sensors'. Do I need the whole assembly, or just the relevant part(s)?
*the error displayed was '3 R-DEF-SENSOR. Problem of defrost sensor in refrigerator'

*just to confirm:
+all is fine with fridge and freezer for x hours; after which
+fridge temperature rises, but display doesn't reflect this (freezer is fine)
+self diagnosis (using 2 button method) shows 3 R-DEF-SENSOR as problem
+turning refrigerator off for 30 seconds and on again resolves problem, and then we start this cycle again!

Apologies if these are silly questions, but I am a n00b to this. Thanks again; your time and help is much appreciated.

tonto33
31-08-2011, 07:22 PM
the whole kit needs to be fitted should include defrost sensor themal fuse evap cover and fan fairly easy to fit

LonelyCloud
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks again @tonto33 (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?6050-tonto33).

I'm away for a few weeks from now, but I'll order the part and report back on my return.

For others reference, the replacement part number (again, courtesy of my new guru @tonto33 (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/member.php?6050-tonto33)!) seems to be DA97-05290Q (http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?14421-All-Samsung-RS21-Side-by-Side-Refrigerators&highlight=DA97-05290Q) (NOT coolzone models)

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 01:00 AM
Off topic - needed removing

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Off topic - needed removing

install monkey
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
2. Please do not post your email address or phone number in the open forums. If you do this, it opens you up to all sorts of problems. There is a PM (private message) system in place that you can use.
If you do post personal details they will be removed.

Cm youve missed a few e mails on this thread!!!!
Remind me not to cross u off my christmas card list!!!!

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Cm youve missed a few e mails on this thread!!!!
Remind me not to cross u off my christmas card list!!!!

Haha !

Not aimed at posters bud....you know this by now

R's CM

paul_h
08-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Still doing this?
Meh I've blown off a lot of steam in these forums.
I saw the massive posting you did today, call it fair enough, clicked "mark forums read", and just forgot about it. Without judging anything, I just let it slide as a bad day and just moved on with the mouse click.

Yes you have a legitimate gripe, and a bad home situation that is going to get you worked up,but picking on moderators that don't catch everything because they aren't reading/running the site 24/7 and do the job without pay or appreciation, is going too far.

ryan-services
13-09-2011, 08:10 AM
hi

Please can you send me a service manual for the SRS2028CVW to spike@northernrivers.co.uk i have replaced the evaporator cover, heater and have now orderd the defrost sensor hopefully that will solve the problem

many thanks
james

LonelyCloud
30-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Quick update - they sent the wrong part (not from the supplier that @tonto33 linked to). Re-ordered and returned....update to follow

meree
19-10-2011, 10:05 AM
hi I have the samsung sr-s2028cvw and its facing the same problem. Can any kind soul please email the service manual to meree03@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

tonto33
19-10-2011, 06:01 PM
all answers to this problem has been listed many many times on this site
regards
tonto33

www.airkooldomestics.co.uk (http://www.airkooldomestics.co.uk)

chiggers1958
14-11-2011, 07:13 PM
tonto, do you have a service manual for a SRS2029css, the fridge works , but the beeper keeps pinging, temp fluctuates, door open indicator on and off like a yoyo. how do i access control panel to check connections, i have tried diagnostic, and no errors come up.

tonto33
16-11-2011, 11:03 AM
have u replacesensor or evap panel ?

xflowphil
19-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi All,

i've had this exact problem with our Samsung SR-S2028CVW - i.e. fridge & freezer cools down to set temp in 3 - 4 hours but then warms up, the target temps remain on the freezer door as the displayed temps & it's only once the power is switched off/on that the true (higher) temps are displayed and the cooling restarts - only to stop again once target temps are reached.

As suggested in earlier posts, i've replaced the Evaporator cover assembly but it's had no effect & the problem remains exactly as before. What should be next component that i should try replacing and is there a known fix for this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

xflowphil
19-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi All,

i've had this exact problem with our Samsung SR-S2028CVW - i.e. fridge & freezer cools down to set temp in 3 - 4 hours but then warms up, the target temps remain on the freezer door as the displayed temps & it's only once the power is switched off/on that the true (higher) temps are displayed and the cooling restarts - only to stop again once target temps are reached.

As suggested in earlier posts, i've replaced the Evaporator cover assembly but it's had no effect & the problem remains exactly as before. What should be next component that i should try replacing and is there a known fix for this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Just to add to this - i have no fault codes and the fridge blows cold through the vents with the door switch held down during it's cooling down phase after the power has been turned off\on

Have been browsing back in some old topics and found one from 2008 that may be relevant: http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?15932-Samsung-RS20&p=125167&highlight=#post125167

Tonto33, i saw you replied to this one suggesting the thermal fuse be replaced - would this be a good next step considering the symptoms on mine appear identical? Seems Partmaster has them available too.

One other question, where do i find the Thermal Fuse inside the fridge - is it behind the top/light panel (i'm assuming it's not part of the Evap panel assembly that i've already replaced)

Thanks

Costin
20-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I have the same fridge with the same problem. I replaced the thermal fuse, worked like a charm for almost one day, and after that same simptoms. My guess is that the thermal fuse blow again. Is there some posibility that this thermal fuse to be undersized ? 77 degrees Celsius said in the manual. Its possible to be other causes to produce this overheating ? I measured the thermistor, it-s ok, 5 kohms at 25 degrees, the heating elemet ok,... it seems that somehow the temperature rises over 77. I will try to use one 82 degrees thermal fuse, to see how works. Did someone find the cause to this problem ?

Thank you in advance

xflowphil
20-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I have the same fridge with the same problem. I replaced the thermal fuse, worked like a charm for almost one day, and after that same simptoms. My guess is that the thermal fuse blow again. Is there some posibility that this thermal fuse to be undersized ? 77 degrees Celsius said in the manual. Its possible to be other causes to produce this overheating ? I measured the thermistor, it-s ok, 5 kohms at 25 degrees, the heating elemet ok,... it seems that somehow the temperature rises over 77. I will try to use one 82 degrees thermal fuse, to see how works. Did someone find the cause to this problem ?

Thank you in advance

Costin, where is the Thermal fuse located on your unit?

i'm thinking of changing the temp sensor on the fridge evaporator/defrost heater unit too

tonto33
20-11-2011, 08:12 PM
thermal fuse is behind evap panel should of got it when brought evap cover as we sell evap cover with full kit defrost sensor, thermal fuse and heater

xflowphil
20-11-2011, 08:51 PM
thermal fuse is behind evap panel should of got it when brought evap cover as we sell evap cover with full kit defrost sensor, thermal fuse and heater

Many thanks for the reply - i bought the new evap panel per the link you posted earlier in this thread from Partmaster - it's a Samsung part so if it was supposed to be included, i assume it was, though i didn't see it as a separate component. There were 2 plugs coming from the back of the evap panel i fitted (same as the one i took off) - one i assume was a power supply for the fan (2 wires), the other (single wire) could be the fuse?

I'll look to get a replacement thermal fuse then and a defrost sensor as well. One question, what is the 'heater' you refer to, is this something different to the defrost sensor? As far as i can see, the defrost heater in integrated into the evaporator

Many thanks

meree
22-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I have a question to you guys out there. The eva. cover, thermal fuse etc mentioned above or those that come with the DIY kit concern only the refrigerator side only, as I understand the similar part in the freezer can develop the same fault too but no one seems to be looking into it.

Am I on the right track? Or just talking bulls.....

Thanks

Costin
23-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Costin, where is the Thermal fuse located on your unit?

i'm thinking of changing the temp sensor on the fridge evaporator/defrost heater unit too

Thank you for answer. The thermal fuse is located behind the evap panel, its tied with a tie by the evap on the right side when you look at it. The temp sensor its only for control of the fridge temp, whay should i change it ?
Its not involved in the control of the defrost process, as far as i know,... and the sensor for defrost i measured and its ok,.... 5 Kohms at 25 degrees. Maybe if i change the location of the thermal fuse and i will put it toghether with the defrost sensor,... it will be not bolwn up again. What is your opinion ?

wotero
08-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Hello,
I bought a SAMSUNG side by side refirigerator, model RS23DASW/FASW (LATAM model). Not sure if you got the same model in Europe, guess could be RS21XXX. I´m looking for the service manual, fridge display shows a botton line on the alarm codes, which is 04:R-FAN-Error, as far as I could gathered on Internet. In my country, Colombia, local service companies doesn´t provide a good technical support on this product. Many techs have came to check the unit and and all of them got a different part list that need to be replaced to fix this issue. Problem with this unit is that freezer is working perfect, fridge is not, temperature displayed is aroung 15 centigrades, and water dispenser is not working cause the water tanq is frozen. FAN also is not working , I guess it is iced up. Please if you have the service manual, it would be great support to me, my email; just in case: wotero@gmail.com

thanks in advance for your support.
William

Power14
28-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I have just joined and was searching the forum and found the answer to my prayers.

I am wondering if the service manual for the Samsung SR-S2028CVW is still available, as I am having lots of problems with this unit.

Email address a1eck@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Alex

tonto33
28-06-2012, 07:59 PM
What problems u got ?

Power14
29-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi,

When the unit goes into a defrost mode it is tripped my RCD unit. I was wondering if it could be a blown heating element that is causing the fault.

A new evaporate unit was fitted some time ago not by me, so I thought that could rule that one out.

That why I was asking if there was a service manual for this model available, so I can do a bit more digging around to find the fault.

tonto33
29-06-2012, 12:55 PM
defrost heater needs to be checked

Grimespjm
07-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi,

Please can a kind soul send me a service manual for the SR-S2028FSM to grimespjm@talktalk.net (Thanks)

It keeps turning off overnight, switch on/off, works fine then starts the cycle again. About to order the temperature sensor replacement, do I need two ( one for each side)?

All comments gratefully received.

Patrick

Grimespjm
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM

This is on the back of my FF and may help those looking for error codes.

fridge14
28-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Notice that this is an old threat but it seems to describes exactly the problem I have with my 10 year old SRS-20FTFS:
+ after power on all works fine: temperature drops desired values
+ after couple of hours, both fridge and freezer temperature rises, but display doesn't reflect this
+ power off/on repeats the cycle

Anyone maybe know how likely is it to still get spare parts (thermal fuse, defrost sensor, heater?) for this model?

fridge14
28-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Here the exact type and a the inside of the freezer compartment. From reading the above, it sound like this is where to look for a possible defect?

R600A
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi All

To clear up a few small bit of confusion concerning the SRS20 /26/28/29 range.

If the unit switches off and then defrosts but if switched back on it starts to run again for approx 6-8 hrs then the fault is with the defrost circuit.

This range which is the older model to the RS21. The parts are the same..

On the older SRS range the main PCB was programed in such a way that it required the defrost sensor to reach +17oc Before it would come out of defrost IF the sensor didnt reach +17oc then the appliance would sit in defrost mode unit it did.. OR by switching off the appliance and then switching back on would reset the main PCB to the start of the run cycle.

There have been so many units that we have seen where the engineer has replaced the sensor up to 6 times and then been told the customer its the PCB. The problem is that the engineer has metered the defrost heater but didn't know/didn't realise that the drain heater is in circuit with the defrost heater and will give you a reading that engineers will assume that the heater is working.Thus causing a recall. Yes the older white cap defrost sensors do go out of calibration and the results wont be correct so its best to change them if carrying out a repair.

The connections which are behind the evaperator panel are as follow's. Top : thermal fuse Middle : defrost heater with drain heater in circuit fitted with a link plug. Bottom : Defrost sensor .

If the appliance has been left plugged in for a minimum of 18hrs before you arrive then you can check for the fault codes by holding the top left and top right control panel buttons in for approx 10 seconds which will then possibly show you dashes.These dashes refer to different components on the appliance have failed. On the SRS range a defrost heater fault will not show up.

To put the unit into a forced run / defrost : hold the top left and bottom right buttons in for approx 10 seconds and the unit will beep every few seconds. within 5 seconds press the bottom right button once for forced run, twice for forced fridge defrost, three times for a full fridge and freezer defrost. to get out of the test switch off and then back on again.

We hold kits that contain all the components that are needed to repair these and also we hold the fuse board modification that MUST be fitted to all RS21 range of fridge freezers.

Bryan

coltsey
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
hi colin
i am also having problems could you email me the service manual
my email ; coltsey@btinternet.com

tony garbutt
09-04-2013, 04:49 PM
can you supply me the kit for Samsung sr-s20288css & service manual tonygarbutt@aol.com

Markie
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi David, I’m happy to help but the model you have given me is incomplete ie; SR-S20***** (an extra 2 numbers, three letters) I'v sent you an email with service manual for SR-S2028CVW attached, Regards, Colin

Hi Colin,

I've been reading all the posts regarding Samsung defrost problems. I'm a fridge/ac install engineer with service experience but none on domestic stuff really. I've been lumbered with helping my sister in law with her fridge freezer. It's a Samsung SRS2028CSS. She told me it kept tripping the MCB in the main fuse box so went to have a look. When I switched in on it worked fine and I left it running. A few hours later she called to say it had tripped again and would keep tripping if she tried to turn it back on. She lives a fair drive away so I'd like to get hold of a service manual before I go back over there if possible. If you or anyone else could send me one of a link where to download one that would be great. I read somewhere that they don't like us to post our email addresses on here so could you PM me if that's the correct way to do it here?
My initial hunch is that if it's running ok for hours then tripping then perhaps it is a shorted defrost heater. Are there defrost heaters on both freezer and chiller or freezer only? Are the heaters easy to access?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Markie.

Markie
12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
PS, also is there a way to initiate a manual defrost with the controller so that I can see if that trips it?

Markie.

tonto33
12-08-2013, 09:31 PM
check defrost heater and thermal fuse both in the freezer side;)

Markie
13-08-2013, 08:28 AM
check defrost heater and thermal fuse both in the freezer side;)

Thanks for reply, will do. Any idea where I can download a service manual for it? Do you access the heater from inside the freezer, behind the back panel with vents and light in? Also where is the thermal fuse situated?

Markie.

tonto33
13-08-2013, 07:58 PM
correct and thermal fuse is in same area

Markie
14-08-2013, 09:00 AM
correct and thermal fuse is in same area

Ok, thanks for your help.

Can anyone email me a service manual for this fridge please?
My email is airconuk@hotmail.com

Thanks ;)

Markie
19-09-2013, 01:57 PM
OK, I ordered a fridge side evaporator defrost heater from Partmaster, which I expected to consist of the heater element only that sits within the finblock of the evaporator. The idea was to gently pick the old one out amd replace with new, plug in and hey presto!
Unfortunately the fridge evap defrost heater that they have sent me consists on a 4" square piece of tin foil with a heater element wound back and forth within it and a sticky backing to it. This is clearly not the same as the existing heater (a solid metal element type) although the plug and piggy back plug for the drain heater are the same.
Partmaster have confirmed that the part is correct for my model ie Samsung SR-S2028CSS but thats all they know.
I can return it but the heater that looks the same on their website comes as part of the evaporator assembly complete and costs £60 plus delivery.
Does anyone know where I can get the heater element part on it's own and in fact anywhere else to get domestic fridge parts apart from Partmaster?
Also is it possible that this thing is an alternative part they supply to save your replacing the fiddley old one. If so how do you fit it? I can't see it staying stuck to the evaporator fins for long and it would surely block the airflow?
Any help before I take a chainsaw to this goddam thing would be much appreciated! ;)

tonto33
20-09-2013, 08:39 PM
http://www.partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.pl?PID=2220652&query=5045176289342

tekdog
21-09-2013, 07:51 PM
OK, I ordered a fridge side evaporator defrost heater from Partmaster, which I expected to consist of the heater element only that sits within the finblock of the evaporator. The idea was to gently pick the old one out amd replace with new, plug in and hey presto!
Unfortunately the fridge evap defrost heater that they have sent me consists on a 4" square piece of tin foil with a heater element wound back and forth within it and a sticky backing to it. This is clearly not the same as the existing heater (a solid metal element type) although the plug and piggy back plug for the drain heater are the same.
Partmaster have confirmed that the part is correct for my model ie Samsung SR-S2028CSS but thats all they know.
I can return it but the heater that looks the same on their website comes as part of the evaporator assembly complete and costs £60 plus delivery.
Does anyone know where I can get the heater element part on it's own and in fact anywhere else to get domestic fridge parts apart from Partmaster?
Also is it possible that this thing is an alternative part they supply to save your replacing the fiddley old one. If so how do you fit it? I can't see it staying stuck to the evaporator fins for long and it would surely block the airflow?
Any help before I take a chainsaw to this goddam thing would be much appreciated! ;)

The "4" square piece of tin foil with a heater element wound back and forth within it and a sticky backing to it" is for the underside of the drain tray. That is the metal tray at the bottom, below the evaporator and heater. You can check to see if the little loop on it has burnt out. This little loop is pushed into the drain hole to keep it from freezing and blocking.

Trev-White
18-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Hi All,
I have joined because of my SR-S2028CVW. It's been a good boy... until now.
Keeps tripping the RCD (not the MCB). Can anyone supply me a service manual .... PLEASE.
I am an engineer and this sort of thing winds me up - I want to check the circuit diagram / fault codes etc before delving in.

Thanks in advance.
Trev.
(prob not allowed to do this... but - trevorwhite68@gmail.com

c_bak
25-02-2014, 01:03 AM
Hi Trev have you had any luck obtaining a service manual for your SR-S2028CVW? as I need it as well. Thanks. raymundizon@yahoo.com

TeckyDave
20-03-2014, 02:12 PM
I know this is an old thread but....

I have an SR-S2026CVV and it is faulty with symptoms described on this thread and there is lots of useful replies but I am getting puzzled.

My unit cools to the correct temps, then stops working and starts to warm although does not always indicate a problem. It passes the self tests. Sometimes the freezer temp is flashing on a morning, other times it is just frozen at the wrong temperature. Powering down and back up makes it read the correct temperature and then the compressor kicks in and cools it down again so I conclude compressor and gas are fine.

I am guessing the problem is freezer based purely because it is the freezer display that flashes.

All sensors at the control board end seem to read the correct resistances based on the chart on page 58 in the woefully inadequate service manual (which seems to have exploded diagrams and part codes missing).

The thermal fuse measures negligible resistance and the freezer defrost element measures 235 ohms (when disconnected from drain defroster).
The freezer drain defrost measures even lower than this but cannot remember what from the top of my head.

I powered it up with cover removed and worked in the kitchen until the compressor shut off. I opened the freezer door and observed the frost on the defrost heater melting so conclude it worked. After a minute I measured the voltage to the two heaters and it was 50VAC at the back wall plug? I assumed it would be about 250VAC.

I put the unit into test mode and pressed the test button three times to enter defrost test. The voltage to the heater connector was 250VAC. After 5 minutes, it was still 250VAC BUT the heater was cold which puzzled me.

I guess the heater may be intermittent BUT.....

I then assumed warming the evaporator sensor up until it changed resistance below about 6.5 omhs would make the unit think it had successfully defrosted and fool it into starting the compressor but it never started back up.

SO..do I have 2 faults or is trying to fool the unit pointless or is there a delay before the compressor starts?

Any suggestions on what to do next would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Dave

bearder2006
29-06-2014, 11:07 AM
hi juast brought a samsung sr-s2028cvw worked ok then seems to be doing the same as most of these posts
stopes defosting and fridge warms up
switch it of then on again and it sorts its self any ideas please or have any on here sorted the problem ?
am
and i dont have a service manual

bearder2006
29-06-2014, 11:34 AM
colin could i pm you ?