PDA

View Full Version : Airwell Problem

meadows
21-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi all

We have an Airwell ducted reverse cycle air con unit installed at our house, outdoor model no is: GC34RCC and the indoor model no is: DS35RCG.

We've had issues with this unit already with the indoor fan unit fusing at 2 years old (and it taking over 6 months for a replacement item to come from China) and due to the previous owners installing the system we had no purchase receipt so we were unable to claim under warranty.

In the last few days the heater has only been working sporadically, ie maybe once every hour or two for 5 mins max. The outdoor unit is staying on what seems to be sounding like a fan mode and not switching over to the heating mode which normally sounds different. I've had a look at the unit and it is not icing up at all, in fact there's not even a trace of ice, there is also nothing blocking the unit from the rear and there should be plenty of air movement. I thought maybe the colder tempreatures here in Australia (7 degrees) may have something to do with it but over the weekend it was over 12 degrees and the unit was still not supplying heat.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what is going wrong before we have to call anyone out as doing this is a costly excerise as we live quite a distance from the nearest town.

I've found a lot of info on the units on the manufactures site here if this helps anyone:

hmmm, i cannot post links as my post count isn't high enough, if you google airwell ds35rcg or airwell gc34rcc the first link is the manufacturers part & information page

your help would be greatly appreciated
cheers

Radlam
23-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Is the outdoor unit running, can you hear the compressor?

I had a problem with the coil thermistors on an Airwell recently which was not allowing the outdoor unit to run due to not sensing the correct temperatures. I also changed the Air temp thermistor too as they required a minimum order amount from Airwell!!

meadows
23-07-2008, 02:09 PM
The outdoor unit is running but it appears the fan is only working and its not switching over to actually produce any heat.

Also I turned the unit on last night and it decided to work again for some reason. The outdoor unit was switching over from fan to heating and there was some ice on the back of the unit that was defrosting off and dripping away however the indoor fan wouldn't change speeds.

I tried using it again tonight and it's not working for some reason - i think the unit may be posessed!!

coolflow
27-07-2008, 01:36 PM
It sounds like a gas problem?,is there any oil resedue on the joints of the copper pipe work?(indoor and out). if so the unit may not produce enough heat to the indoor unit ant the indoor pipe sensor might think that its too cold to work or that the out door unit frozen, and then puts it into defrost mode.If you get chance when you turn on the unit in heat mode go outside and listen to the unit for various sounds like compressor start and fan and the four way valve.then feel the larger pipe to see what temp it is.It should be so hot you canot touch it after about 5-10 mins.then report your findings Good look ..

Gossioii1
17-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Wow, this is very useful.. Thanks for sharing this and hoping I could implement it too.