PDA

View Full Version : Kenmore/Amana refrigerator not cooling

Ohm&Hammer
20-07-2008, 06:01 AM
Greetings all, and thanks for looking at this!

I'm a certified automotive AC tech, but stopped just before R134 came on the scene, so all my experience is with R12 systems.

I just picked up a Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator from my wifes relatives. It is 9 years old and had stopped freezing, so they moved it into the garage and kept beer and soft drinks in it. Anyway they decided they needed the room so now I have it.

When I picked it up, the condenser coils were completely fuzzed in, as you can imagine so I cleaned them all off with compressed air. I was hoping that would fix it but unfortunately not. Here is what I have found:

Kenmore model # 596.77272790 manuf sept/98

Freezer compartment cools to about 45F, fridge cools to about 52F (7C & 11C).

Compressor Hi side temp is 110F (43C) and low side seems to measure 80F (27C) Fan runs just fine, and no trace of frost or ice anywhere.

No service port has been added, and inspection underneath does not show any oil seepage that signifies a slight leak.

Other than the huge amount of lint on the condenser the unit is remarkably clean.

Now, I need to confess that I am a babe in the woods when it comes to this type of refrigeration so I hope someone can get me pointed in the right direction.

To my pea-brain, I see 3 options-

1) Bad compressor (Possibly damaged due to increased pressures from operating for so long with a filthy coil.)

2) Low refrigerant ( haven't measured pressures but temps might indicate this, except it is a sealed system and no leaks apparent)

3) Something else I haven't thought of!(thinking obscure electrical gremlin, or capillary issue)

Anyway, all learned opinions will be appreciated and when responding don't worry about insulting my intelligence!

I am kinda looking at this as a learning experience for me. I still have all my equipment including reclaimer and vacuum pump, except I don't have any R134 guages so will finally have an excuse to purchase some.

At any rate, thanks for reading this!

Ohm&Hammer
20-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh another thing- I did a crude test of the valves by unplugging it and measuring the temp of the low side line, to see if it would warm up when unplugged. I do not think it did. It got slightly warmer right at the base but I think it was more conducted heat from the case as it did not extend more than an inch up the low side line.

kezzy chiller
20-07-2008, 06:48 PM
sounds like valve wear in the comp, you have very little movement of gas

kezzy chiller
20-07-2008, 06:50 PM
you can use your old guages its the pressure you need to read. If you have a comparator you can work it out

philfridge
20-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Put line tap valve on low side and check pressures . I would go with option 2 as most likely cause.

Ohm&Hammer
21-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Phil, I will go with your suggestion first, mainly because it is the cheapest!

If my low side temperature is 27C, what sort of pressure should I be seeing?

Sorry for the primitive question but as I said I'm doing a whole lo of learning on this!

And thanks again you guys for your help so far! It will probably take me a couple of days to get a piercing valve, I don't think the local parts store carries them anymore. I'll post what I find out.

Ohm&Hammer
30-07-2008, 07:56 PM
I finally located a piercing valve and have added to the suction line.

My pressure as measured with my old style R12 manifold gauge was 30 psi with the fridge turned off for several minutes. When plugged in and running, suction line reading was -4 inches, again as measured by my gauge.
(Gauge is branded snap-on, I believe it was made by TIF and is not a chinese item so the readings are most likely accurate).

Also, I have not been too successful in finding a comparator chart online anywhere, argh, so right now I am only guessing what I am looking at. The shop I used to deal with for refrigeration got out of appliances a few years ago and now only deal with commercial HVAC, so I couldn't get a chart from them either.

Anyway, if someone could point me in a direction to take I would greatly appreciate it!

The MG Pony
03-08-2008, 06:01 PM
you need a PT chart that I can help with.

PM me your email and I'll send you a pdf with the data.

For R-134a at (-4)"Hg it is at (-20) F

The differance between R-12 and R-134a is apx 2 to 3 psi. with R-12 being the higher pressure.