PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start A Band Aid Fix ?

JoeKool
19-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Whats Up eveyone, I have a question, I have single units in my apt building by Mcaquay. It seems that the compressor in some units are having a hard time starting or go out right away. So one of my men put a hard start on it and it worked fine but then the unit would eventually not cool enough or the compressor would run load. So i called my Mechanic, he came over and after some investigation he found the control panel was not good it had yellow stains around the circuits. So once he changed the control panel it wouldn't start (compressor). So i informed him that a few men were putting hard starts kits on the capacitators, he would then remove them and the unit would cool and run as quiet as they can. My question is, whats the hard start covering up? my mechanic told me these hard starts are no good and these compressors are only 2-3yrs old. Please Advise

chemi-cool
19-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Hard start is a capacitor that increases the voltage to the start winding inside the compressor for a short time until the motor has reached its working speed.

the yellow stains are probably from the mustard on the hot dog.....;)