PDA

View Full Version : Heating Forums

Big B
16-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi this only my second post so be gentle with me :D

As most of my work is on gas heating system's and that's NG not refrigerants, but my work does inc some minor a/c work, of which RE.Com has been most useful, does anyone know a good heating engineers forum online?

Seem to be having difficulty finding one.

Cheers

Nigel (UK)

andywill
16-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Don't know any sites for you heating guys sorry.
You can answer me a question though, how come us refrigeration engineers can't touch NG without being corgi registered, yet it seems that every day more people are putting in A/C systems without a refrigerant handling certificate ACRIB or CITB. A/C units are sold at B&Q for people to put them in themselves....
We can't install domestic wiring without PART P Electrical and we can't install commercial/industrial without 16th edition which I now believe has moved on to 17th edition. I feel that our industry is being shafted for courses and renewal fees but joe plumber (name changed to protect his identity) can pick up an A/C system and wang it on a wall "literally" I have photo evidence to prove it.
I am not aiming this rant at you directly but I bet a lot of engineers on this site wonder why we have to obtain all this certification for what seems like a pointless cause.
Feel free to rant back I can take it. Just had one of them days.

Big B
16-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes I know what you mean, when Part P came out the co I was working for said we all have to go on the course, so what happens off we all go to college and 1 week later Part P certs in hand, have i used it since, NO i'm in the maintenance field, not an installer, so here i am Part P'd and virtually a quallified electrican in a week. Crap. However now some heating suppliers will now only supply boilers or parts with the production of a CORGI ID Card, this is a good idea, but it needs to be enforced especialy in the DIY area, and not only for gas related products but electrical to. Perhaps then we might not see so much s**t installation work.

And as for course fee's if i were self employed, i'd be paying out somewhere in the region of 2k every 5 years for renewal fees ontop of the anual £200 fee to CORGI

Hope your day is better tomorrow.

Cheers.

Karl Hofmann
17-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I look in at the heating section of DIY not.com but they are a bunch of squabbling girls, all wanting to let folk know how stupid they can be... To be avoided

750 Valve
17-07-2008, 11:47 AM
theres an american hvac forum that has a fair sized heating section... but I wouldn't really recommend the site. see if you can get a section started on this site

WaterholeWally
31-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Hello,

FYI, HVAC-talk.com and Gardenweb.com have a number of sections regarding heating/furnaces.

HVAC-talk, in particular, has a professional forum that requires registration. I find terrific info on both.

You will see familiar names, throughout all of the forums, from all continents. Truly a wonderful way to learn.

WW