PDA

View Full Version : PE in the USA -- what is it in other countries?

EmCoastHVACR
14-07-2008, 03:24 AM
In the USA, we have a Professional Engineer (PE) designation. You have to have a 4 year degree, pass the EIT(or FE), have 4 years verified engineering experience, and pass the PE exam.

Anything similar in other countries?

EmCoastHVACR
09-08-2008, 01:10 AM
After not getting a response to engineering credentials in other countries, this appears to be a technician site, not engineering.

taz24
09-08-2008, 01:25 AM
After not getting a response to engineering credentials in other countries, this appears to be a technician site, not engineering.

The UK is slightly different to the US.

We have levels of qualification all the way up to Doctorate of engineering (a proffessor).

We do not have proffesional Engineers like the US it would seem.

Most old school fridge guys who did an apprenticeship or served there time on the tools and learnt through experience like to call themselves engineers and it is a correct title for someone who is in engineering in the UK.

Some of the new guys and some of the Heating and Ventilation bods call them selves Technicians. In the UK a Technician is a fully qualified person but they may hold quals in different disciplins that all tie in to the same job.

It is complicated.

we have

Non skilled
Semi skilled

Then we have Fitters who are trade specific and machine orriented.

We have Electricians

and we have Engineers, Engineers tend to be mechanical and electrical trained, Fitters only mecanical and electricians, electrical.

All these descriptions are genralisations so do not bother to flame me if I have just insulted you :p.

So EmCoastHVACR maybe people did not answer because they did not know how t and then your post just got swollowed up in the internet thingy :).

Not simple answer to your simple question but I did try :cool:

taz.

US Iceman
09-08-2008, 01:28 AM
You have to remember that the term engineer has different connotations in different locations. Remember the time when anyone here in the US could call themselves an "engineer".

Now you can't use the term unless you have a PE license. Elsewhere, it's very different.

There are some engineers here (some PE's, some not), so I guess it depends on what you are looking for.;)

Brian_UK
09-08-2008, 10:56 PM
In the USA, we have a Professional Engineer (PE) designation. You have to have a 4 year degree, pass the EIT(or FE), have 4 years verified engineering experience, and pass the PE exam.

Anything similar in other countries?You also are expecting people in other countries to fully understand your question.

Example - what is an EIT or FE ? When that is known then perhaps you may get some more answers.

US Iceman
09-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Brian,

An EIT is a designation that can be used by college graduate engineers who have passed a FE exam. Now, to break down the alphabet soup; EIT = Engineer in training & FE = Fundamentals of Engineering.

These are the first steps in obtaining a PE license.

Brian_UK
09-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Understood, thanks.

Kinda shows why us dumb Brit technicians couldn't provide an answer ;)

NH3LVR
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
What is an Engineer?
One definition is one who maintains or operates technical equipment.
A Salesman can be a Sales or Application Engineer.
Maintenance people in Hotels are Engineers.
If I drive a train I am an Engineer.
When I worked in the Seafood Industry I was a Chief Engineer.
I do remember my state board here going after a housecleaning service who called themselves Domestic Engineers. They did drop it when it hit the newspaper however.
I did meet a gentlemen last summer from Germany who was not quite finished with school yet. It seems that there the minimum requirement is a Masters Degree, or Diploma Engineer.
Physicists in the High Tech Industry are called Engineers
Confused yet?

I avoid using the term unless someone is a PE or at least has a degree in Engineering.

Lc_shi
10-08-2008, 12:47 AM
The registered HVACR engineer system is on going 3 years ago. It's a must for you to set up design and installtion company in HVACR field.

Abe
10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
In the UK, a track tapper, "the guy who hits a rail track with a mallet" is called a sonic engineer!!!
:D

excuse me, dont wish to detract from the seriousness of this thread

EmCoastHVACR
12-08-2008, 06:42 PM
I quess only Canada & USA has the designation.

So in most countries, any degreed engineer can sign off on projects?

Abby Normal
12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Being the world's oldest Engineer-in-Training, you should fit right in

Abby Normal
12-08-2008, 06:48 PM
the Brits have options where their PE's have a lot more hands on. You start out as a technician and can work your way up.

Sort of how you like to see yourself I would say

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12885

Brian_UK
12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
After not getting a response to engineering credentials in other countries, this appears to be a technician site, not engineering.I must admit that I always enjoy being spoken down to; it so puts me in my place. :(

Abby Normal
13-08-2008, 12:42 AM
It is his favourite trolling technique Brian

US Iceman
13-08-2008, 12:51 AM
I think I'm going to stay out of the remainder of this discussion...;)

EmCoastHVACR
21-08-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm a real P.E. now -- passed the April 08 exam.

It was hard for me to work full-time at a Fortune 10 firm, operate a HVACR business part-time, and pass the P.E exam.

I served an apprenticeship for a Fortune 500 firm 18 years before becoming a degreed mechanical engineer; then, I had to wait 4 years before becoming eligible for the exam.

Being the world's oldest Engineer-in-Training, you should fit right in

TXiceman
23-08-2008, 02:36 AM
EmCoast HVACR....congratulations on passing the exam. It is a lot of hard work and should be better respected than it is in the USA.

Part of the problem is some of the practicing PEs are a bit of a joke.

In the UK don't they have Charter Engineers? In Canada it is a P. Eng. if I remember correctly.

Ken

Josip
23-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi, EmCoast HVACR :)
congratulations,

..... in my country engineers are engineers and technicians are technicians, quite distinctive my dear colleague...

After not getting a response to engineering credentials in other countries, this appears to be a technician site, not engineering....:confused:

... then.... then I need some years of practice (it was 3 years for me and 5 for techs in my time, but do not know what is now) to be eligible for "state qualifying exam or state license" - there I must learn&show a general knowledge about laws/rules, but with little more specific knowledge in my branch/profession - civil Eng/mech Eng/el Eng and I can lead or supervise works in construction-building of different plants-buildings related to my profession ...

.... similar "state qualifying exam or state license" is for other professions but related to med doctor/lawyer/state clerks etc.

Later on, with couple of years of practice and some small designs I can apply and maybe became (I must have at least 2 sponsors-already licensed engineers-and famous too, to support my application for that exam) an "authorized/licensed engineer-and get a stamp with my name and number;)" eligible to make designs ... hard way... depend on dreams ...

...first part of exam I passed in the year 1987, but then I made my first step into the world ... my travel is not yet finished :).... but, I believe, after so many years of learning I'm able to make designs, but they are not legal, because I do not have a "number"... what doesn't mean they are not good... just opposite...

Best regards, Josip :)