PDA

View Full Version : help remove tev and replace with piston orofice

kurt854
13-07-2008, 09:14 PM
i have a 2.5 ton AC evap coil that the tev (thermal expansion valve) is acting up on. its a R22 system and the superheat is fine most of the time. but sometimes the TEV acts up and the superheat goes down, compressor goes out on thermal overload.

Its fine for 1/2 the day then just starts acting up. than fine agin for a while.

my question is is there a kit i could purchase and just remove the TEV and replaice it with a piston type / orofice???? than i could just throw out the TEV and not wory.

i beleive if there is some kind of kit i could easliy braze it to the existing caplillary tubes and never look back... will this work ?? or am i way off here >????

philfridge
13-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Why not just replace the TEV if it is faulty. Although they do rarely go wrong. You cannot fit the other types of metering devices as your unit will incorporate a receiver which is needed for correct operation of a larger system. Capillary and piston devices are for small fixed refrigerant delivery systems, as your unit has a TEV fitted i would stick to the same . ;)

kurt854
13-07-2008, 09:49 PM
its for a friends system that i installed, and he is unussualy ANAL. the coil is only a year old, just out of warranty. and i dont want any more problems.... i dont want to go back again with another TEV problem ever! if you new him you would understand. im sure this will work if i can find the parts.

i am hell bent on getting this done.

i am 99.99% sure the refgerant will flow through the piston and into the coil and cool properly. i have installed 2.5 ton condensing units to 5ton evap coils allready and just changed the piston to the proper size for the 2.5 ton and they worked GREAT.

so i believe this should be very easy fix. but im just being carefull .... looking for your opinions.

thank you