PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Chiller

FishFarmer
11-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this thread.

I recently purchased a used Aquarium Chiller.
It is an inline Aqua-Logic DS-3 1/4hp model.

It didn't perform when I used it the first time, so I found a refrigeration repair shop and took it in. They recharged the coolant and gave it back.

It ran fine for about a week, but then took a dump. I took it in again, and apparently it was low on coolant again.

They charged it full of Nitrogen (250psi) and let it sit 24hrs. The pressure did not drop, and his detection meters didnt pick up any leaks.

So now he is telling me there is no leaks, when obviously there is some sort of leak. I asked if maybe it was a leak that would only show when you run the unit, and he said that wasn't possible.

His solution is to charge it up with more ***** and try it again....I dont find that very agreeable because the outcome is likely to be the same, and thats 90 bux down the toilet.

They are super busy over there with commercial accounts, and Im afraid they don't have the time to spend on troubleshooting.

I am hoping one or more of you kind folks can offer some guidance so I can maybe inspire them a little with some possible solutions.

Tycho
11-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this thread.

I recently purchased a used Aquarium Chiller.
It is an inline Aqua-Logic DS-3 1/4hp model.

It didn't perform when I used it the first time, so I found a refrigeration repair shop and took it in. They recharged the coolant and gave it back.

It ran fine for about a week, but then took a dump. I took it in again, and apparently it was low on coolant again.

They charged it full of Nitrogen (250psi) and let it sit 24hrs. The pressure did not drop, and his detection meters didnt pick up any leaks.

So now he is telling me there is no leaks, when obviously there is some sort of leak. I asked if maybe it was a leak that would only show when you run the unit, and he said that wasn't possible.

His solution is to charge it up with more ***** and try it again....I dont find that very agreeable because the outcome is likely to be the same, and thats 90 bux down the toilet.

They are super busy over there with commercial accounts, and Im afraid they don't have the time to spend on troubleshooting.

I am hoping one or more of you kind folks can offer some guidance so I can maybe inspire them a little with some possible solutions.

OFN (oxygen free nitrogen or N2) is denser than *****. so a leak that releases ***** might not release N2 and thus the system seems to be OK when pressure tested with N2 (many people fail to take this into account in smaller systems).

so if they empty the unit of ***** and fill it up with N2 they might not find any leaks on it at all.

however if they topped up the pressure with N2 with the ***** still being in the system, then left it over night, they might be able to see the leak, I say might, as your unit sounds to be very small and thus have a small filling, so finding a leak will not be easy, but during use the leak will become aparent very fast.

The problem with small units like this is that if there is ***** in the system, this might give wrong readings on the pressure drop in the system with small changes in the ambient temperature.

I hope there might be some better responses then mine to you, but having struggled with a small coldroom cooler for my aunt for six months without finding the leak (filling of 900 grams of R134a needing a charge every 7 months), I advised her to buy a new one (I ordered all the components and I built it for her and she havent called me in over two years).

I don't know if it's leagal where you are, but you could have him top up the system with N2 and have him submerge the system in a water/dishwashersoap mix overnight (unless it will damage the electrics) make sure he stirrs it real good when submerging it to get rid of any air bubbles, and then check the next day for bubble buildups. It's what I did and I didnt find any.

Brian_UK
11-07-2008, 10:33 PM
It is also possible for the leak to be where he connected the test hoses/guages.

The fittings contain a Schrader valve, like your car tyre, and can leak unless the cap is a good fit and has its seal intact.

Tycho
11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
It is also possible for the leak to be where he connected the test hoses/guages.

The fittings contain a Schrader valve, like your car tyre, and can leak unless the cap is a good fit and has its seal intact.

Another good point.

I would like to point out that I didnt note earlier that I am a guy working 90% on industrial applications, and my standard reply to family members coming to me with fridges or freezers wich is obviously low on ***** is "Oh that sucks, you should take it to the dealer to get it disposed of properly and then buy a new one while you are there"

the only reason I rebuilt my aunts one was because she had a cooling corner installed in her kitchen and it went out of production, so getting a new one meant tripple what I could get the parts for and install it :)

My aunt and my uncle paid for the parts and about a tenner extra and they got the installation for a bottle of bombay sapphire gin :) it's my poison :)

FishFarmer
12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
See, I knew it had to be something like that .. no leak?

psh...:(

Speaking of dense, why would that guy even suggest more *****?

Anyway, :cool: Id like to buy a new chiller but dont have the money, so perhaps I will mention some of this to him and see what he says.

Lowrider
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
If all else fails have them pressure test with Helium. This has smaller molecules than nitrogen and much smaller than the refridgerants, but is a bit more expensive!

FishFarmer
12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
So lets say I find this small leak, and it is in on the Titanium heating coil. I have this half baked idea, that if I smear some JB weld over the pin-sized leak that it would solve the issue.

Think itd work?