PDA

View Full Version : Two door fosters style fridge

monkey spanners
08-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Got called to a two door fridge that was not cooling.
Found the evaporator frozen up and the compressor to have an inch of ice from the suction inlet to the bottom of the compressor.
Evaporator fans running ok. Condenser fan noisey but running. Eliwell stat working ok, relay not stuck. Probe reading correct temperature. Set point correct. Drain ok.
The system runs with off cycle defost.
The only thing i found was that as the condenser fan motor cooled it siezed up a bit, on with a new motor.

My theory is that the condenser fan motor siezed, the system continued to run, it would not reach set point like this so would not defrost, possibly the fan motor has been cutting in and out and this resulted in the frozen evaporator.

Any comments welcome :D

Cheers Jon

philfridge
08-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Also could be that the door has been left open slightly overnight causing evap to ice up . It could have been overloaded and airfloe blocked off. Another one to think of also is the customer putting hot foods inside to chill down , ive caught them at it :eek: using fridge as a blast chiller.
phil

monkey spanners
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Cheers Phil,

I think the most likely from your list at this site is the door being left open, its a kebab shop and they seem to keep sauces and a few salad things in it.

I guess i'll have to see if i get a call in a few days :D

Jon

Chunk
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
You dont see many a/c units in kebab shops and i can tell you they get mighty hot in there when you are queueing up at 2 am:confused:.They probably thought leaving two doors open might help cooling the shop down better than one.

I`m hungry now.