PDA

View Full Version : Preesure Vessel

Rajkumar
08-07-2008, 07:19 AM
What are criterea for calculating the thickness of ammonia high pressure receiver shell and dishend.

Is only consider ASME code.

Or storage capacity of ammonia / flow of ammonia / persons working there. Ammount of ammonia charge.

raj

Josip
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
What are criterea for calculating the thickness of ammonia high pressure receiver shell and dishend.

Is only consider ASME code.

Or storage capacity of ammonia / flow of ammonia / persons working there. Ammount of ammonia charge.

raj

... not too familiar with ASME codes, but I believe they covered everything....

... many years before I was working in factory manufactured pressure vessels and this is something I can remember now ...

.... mainly thicknesses depend on many factors like .... pressure "P", diameter "D", volume "V", size and number of connections, material properties-different for normal or low temperatures application... there are a special equitations for calculation of static vessels .....

... then we have requirements for manufacturer certification, quality assurance, design, materials, manufacturing and testing ....

.... not a simple manufacture procedure at all...

Best regards, Josip :)

smpsmp45
17-07-2008, 06:41 AM
There is one book on heat exchanger design & that gives all the data. I shall get that name for you.

Ponca Dave
22-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Yes ASME is the code.
The temp/press is considered.
To do these calculations by hand I used to be able to do 1/10 hr day.
With Software...I did 5 before lunch depending on the openings.
Codeware and many more are availeable Cost ..about $5-6k
But what is time worth?

US Iceman
22-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Or storage capacity of ammonia / flow of ammonia / persons working there. Amount of ammonia charge.

You need to design the vessel for what you want it to do. Size, volume, nozzles, etc. Once you have the geometry of the vessel, then you use the pressure vessel codes to design the thickness, welds, heads, etc.

These are two separate design procedures.