PDA

View Full Version : Working outside your home country

US Iceman
07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
A question was raised in another post about working in a country different from where you live. I suppose this could be either permanent relocation or temporary for the sake of the discussion.

What type of problems or issues have you found? Were the working conditions acceptable or did you have to have security personnel guarding you?

A second topic as part of this might be; When working on projects in a foreign country what sort of precautions do you have to take? Medical, financial, etc?

What have you done to provide financial security for your projects? Letters of credit, bank transfers, ????

As the global markets begin to emerge the views of others who have already done this may be able to help others who are thinking about it.

This might be interesting to see how it plays out...;)

chemi-cool
07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Me for example, can not work in my trade anywhere else legally

Abby Normal
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I have been overseas for 10 years, I am a Canadian in the Caribbean.

So for me, I needed bank references so that I could open an account. ANd if I wanted a credit card back when I arrived, I had better have brought one with me as I had no credit rating here.

There is no need for security personell to guard you down here.

The one thing I missed about the high taxes in Canada was the health care. The system down here is very similar to the American Systmes. If I have to go statesdie for treatments not available here, I am covered as long as I go to certain hospitals on the same plan. What do you call that stateside an "HMO"?

750 Valve
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
I did a job in Samoa a while back (2000) and pretty much got the call on a friday night to go and jumped on a plane on the monday. I took handtools and clothes and shipped over the rest of my tools and a few spare parts.

I only had to start up a few rooms (2 coolrooms and 2 freezer rooms) and an AC system that a guy from the Phillipines had put in, I found it a challenge working on gear I wasn't used to - units were from USA and wiring was not really up to Aust standards - neither was the quality of the install, it needed quite a bit of work to make right. I found it challenging finding gear in Samoa - for instance I needed a drain heater for the freezer room and do you think I could get one? Had to wait for one to be flown in, even just getting my hands on an oxy torch was hard enough.

I ended up there for a bit over a week reinstalling and commissioning the gear, also had to fix a postmix machine while I was there as it broke down as well and I was the only fridgey around at the time.

Magoo
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
USIceman.
A good post and should be interesting to watch. I have worked mainly in Pacific region apart from Russia through the ninety's. Currently in China.
magoo

US Iceman
08-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi guys.

I think this thread has the potential to open up some very interesting comments on international travel and working relations in locations other than your home.

I know one of our Moderators here has done a lot of traveling also. I'm sure he can add a lot of comments on his experiences too.

I realize there may be some specific details that should be omitted due to the need to protect the innocent, but perhaps the details that can be shared would be worthwhile for others.

hat tip to magoo for bringing this subject to light in the first place.

Josip
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi, US Iceman :)

A question was raised in another post about working in a country different from where you live. I suppose this could be either permanent relocation or temporary for the sake of the discussion.

What type of problems or issues have you found? Were the working conditions acceptable or did you have to have security personnel guarding you?

A second topic as part of this might be; When working on projects in a foreign country what sort of precautions do you have to take? Medical, financial, etc?

What have you done to provide financial security for your projects? Letters of credit, bank transfers, ????

As the global markets begin to emerge the views of others who have already done this may be able to help others who are thinking about it.

This might be interesting to see how it plays out...;)

.... good questionnaire...

.... started temporary ;), I am on the road all my life, permanently ... worked for many companies in many countries ...

... never needed security personnel (except to watch on tools ;)) .... usually working within kind of campus .... each task is a kind of adventure ....

..... it is good to prepare yourself medically (maybe some kind of vaccination and to take some medicines with you (depend where are you going) and of course to take some cash (not too much) and some plastic card ;)

.... for financial assurance of my work some companies asked me to make a kind of insurance ..., but that caused so many problems and finally we gave up ... that was in the beginning of our cooperation ....

I will try to explain ... for me as a supervisor engineer (one man band) it is a big problem to make insurance for job of couple of million euro ... there is no insurance house to cover me .... I have to pay tooooo much for that kind of insurance policy ..... then at the bottom line, each of my project is a team work and I think it will be a kind of unfair step to keep me as only responsible person so far ...

.... fortunately, during all those years we succeed to build some mutual confidence and now we do not have that kind of problems ..... telephone call and I am on the road again;)

.... it is ok to take care but not need to be afraid ..... in that case, guys should stay at home;) .... must admit to have a nice feelings when done a good job ....

... all above is from my traveling experience since 1985 .... my first trip to Sahara .... hope to be around next few years .... world is nice ....

... hope you understood what I meant to tell... (due to my English..;))

Best regards, Josip :)

US Iceman
08-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Josip.

You are the person who I was hoping would reply to this thread.;)

And don't worry...your English is fine.:)

bruceboldy
08-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi Iceman

I have done a number of finish outs and startups about two years ago

Three were in Haiti
Security was always around, but felt safe. But The man I worked for on one had his wife kidnapped while I was there
They wanted three million, he offered 50000 and got her back... She was so mad at the amount paid she went to Miami to live for a bit...
It was interesting work because US OSHA was not around. Lots of work got done without safety precautions we normally see.
We had to move a 60 in vert vessel for ammonia 10 feet we used 12 men and an old forklift. Everything gets done somehow.
Really hard to find supplies and parts. a lot of sit and wait but I loved the place and experiences.

Bruce

Sturt
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Hi US Iceman

I have worked as an employee way back onboard a ship in South America.

We worked on the ship while it was moored off the coast of Ecuador (very hot) and then sailed to Chile for dry dock works (very cold).

The shipping agent ensured our movements on land were always arranged with transport and a representative between docks, hotels and airports.

Heatlth wise I had all inoculations updated with the addition of Yellow Fever and the need for Malaria tablets.

I was young at the time but we did feel vulnerable on some of the land journeys. Presumably any insurances would have been covered by our employer at the time.

Parts were an issue and components ordered like crankshafts were sent filled with insentives to aid them through customs but there was still much waiting.

All in all it was good experience though.

Sturt.

Magoo
29-07-2008, 04:05 AM
Working off shore can be a minefield. Getting paid is the main issue, LC's is a waste of time, direct credits is the only way to go. Pre-paid or else nothing happens, sorts the tyre kickers from the real clients. Do not allow equipment to leave with out money upfront. Site work pre-paid in advance keeps client clear on the whole project.
Medical, don't leave home with out it, add to contract costs an insurance cover risk, expensive, but covers costs incurred.
magoo