PDA

View Full Version : CO2 storage tanks

smpsmp45
07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
One of our customers is looking for Ref system to condense the CO2 gas stored in the tanks. ( like Horton Spheres for Ammonia). Has any one done a similar project?

winfred.dela
07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
One of our customer used bare pipe as evaporator installed inside the CO2 tank coupled with a 30HP compressor and an air cooled condensing unit.

:)

US Iceman
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
The tanks I have worked on were somewhat small. The tanks have an evaporator installed in the tank to condense the CO2 at a certain temperature. This helps to control or limit the pressure in the CO2 tank (to keep CO2 relief valves from opening).

The compressors for these were 5 HP Copeland I think, but the principle is the same on any scale.

In ammonia storage tanks they simply compress and liquefy the ammonia without heat exchangers in the tank. However, with the pressures of CO2 the heat exchanger is probably the easiest way to do this.

smpsmp45
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
What type of system is that. Is the coil submerged in the co2 tank?

US Iceman
07-07-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't remember who made the CO2 tank. It was owned by the company supplying the gas and rented to the customer.

The evaporator was above the liquid (in the gas space). As the vapor formed from the boiling (due to heat absorption) the evaporator was simply maintained at a temperature low enough to condense the CO2 so that the pressure was maintained below the relief valve setting.

Rather simple actually.;)

taz24
07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't remember who made the CO2 tank. It was owned by the company supplying the gas and rented to the customer.

The evaporator was above the liquid (in the gas space). As the vapor formed from the boiling (due to heat absorption) the evaporator was simply maintained at a temperature low enough to condense the CO2 so that the pressure was maintained below the relief valve setting.

Rather simple actually.;)

I have worked on what sound like similar storage tanks aswell.
I remember that the evap was a coil inside the tank made from steel and then it was just a normal direct expansion system with the copland comp on the side in a weather houseing (as the Iceman stated).

Very simple in design and construction. The ones I worked at were at BOC (British oxygen company)
but I dont recall who made the tanks.

taz.

chemi-cool
07-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I maintain these monsters for years, Tomco is one of the biggest manufaturers.

Evaporator is made from bare pipes inside the tanks, Copeland condensing units up to 15 Hp.

winfred.dela
07-07-2008, 10:47 PM
What type of system is that. Is the coil submerged in the co2 tank?

Refrigeration is just the simple DX system, Compressor, Aircooled Condenser, Liquid Receiver, TXV, Bare Pipe Evaporator.

Bare Pipe Evaporator entering the tank, looping inside and coming back where it enters the tank before connecting to the Air cooled Condensing Unit.

:)