PDA

View Full Version : Average Joe needs help

lmsmedley
05-07-2008, 07:09 PM
To all you wonderful people:

I could use some help. I live in an apartment which is on the 2nd floor. The large part of the apartment, which has a kitchen and living area, is about 600- 700 sq. feet.

One side of the apartment is all window and it faces Southeast. We have white vertical blinds on this large window. The roof is a gravel substance, but is not black asphalt, so I don't think it's absorbing enormous amounts of heat.

During the summer, this apartment gets really hot (Yes, I know, heat rises. Bummer for me). I have two 9000 BTU portable AC units running all day and cannot get the temperature below 80 degrees.

There is no way to install a window unit.

I'm too hot!!!!! Is there anything that can be done?

Would it help to install that window tinting, or are the closed white vertical blinds doing enough to reflect the sun's heat?

Any help is very much appreciated!!!!!

icecube51
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
if you can not install airco, there are a few things that will help.
1* build yourself a second roof on top of the other but let a space of 30 cm between the original roof. it can be build whit grey or natural canvas.
2* spray water on the roof,but like a mist and about 5 to 10cm above the original roof.
3* put reflecting shields on the outside of the windows.
4* keep windows and doors close during day time,and ventilate during the night.

5* think,what would an African do:D.

Ice

lmsmedley
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Ice, thanks for the reply. I can't say the items 1,2 or 4 are possible, but I wonder if window reflective film would help, per your item #3?

if you can not install airco, there are a few things that will help.
1* build yourself a second roof on top of the other but let a space of 30 cm between the original roof. it can be build whit grey or natural canvas.
2* spray water on the roof,but like a mist and about 5 to 10cm above the original roof.
3* put reflecting shields on the outside of the windows.
4* keep windows and doors close during day time,and ventilate during the night.

5* think,what would an African do:D.

Ice

wambat
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Why not move to Redondo Beach!

The Viking
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Reflective film will help.

What you really need is something like THIS (http://www.heatbusters.com/easifit/products/all-products/unico-sky-140)

(I never heard of that brand, it was the first that come up on the Google search "through the wall airconditioner" but it illustrates the principle)

GXMPLX
05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree with icecube51 and The Viking ... well ok wambat too but before you spend money or move, if you have a digital camera that is sensible to infrared, build an infrared filter and have another look at your flat. Check at different hours from where is the most heat coming in and invest there first.

Take a look at places that thell you how to do this or buy infrared film for your old camera, like here:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/395292/take_infrared_pictures_with_your_digital_camera/

Contactor
06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
A water cooled VRF would do the job nicely.Could the condensers go on the roof?

icecube51
07-07-2008, 07:26 AM
hey Viking,

i have placed several units like this, a specially in hotels where its difficult to have outside units on walls or roofs. do you now what noise they make:rolleyes:
what COP its having:rolleyes:, how to do maintenance on such units :rolleyes:, you which you never had them in the first place.

Ice

The Viking
07-07-2008, 01:50 PM
hey Viking,

i have placed several units like this, a specially in hotels where its difficult to have outside units on walls or roofs. do you now what noise they make:rolleyes:
what COP its having:rolleyes:, how to do maintenance on such units :rolleyes:, you which you never had them in the first place.

Ice

Yepp,
Fully agree with that.
But sometimes there aren't any options...

BigJon3475
07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Dumb question....you can't put window units in but you have portables?.....Where is the discharge going from those portables? Should be two fans running one blowing cold air the other blowing hot. Is the one blowing hot air attached so the discharge goes outside?

I think you have two 1 hose portables correct?

If so your sucking the air from your home your paying to condition and throwing it out the window....as a side effect of this you are leaving your apartment in a neg pressure from the rest of the building and sucking in heat from around you.

18,000 btu in a 700 sq ft place should leave you with ice cycles. Let's look at the root cause of why it's so hot. I don't usually make assumptions like that but.....I think this would be clear cut case of way more refrigeration than needed....I know all about proper sizing equipment to meet the load....and I just can't see you actually needing 18,000 btu so let's find the route cause.

BigJon3475
08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Fine I didn't want to help you anyways :D