PDA

View Full Version : how the split unit consume less energy then a window type unit

jahangir.ahmad
05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
hi every one

i came to know that split unit consume less energy then a window type AC boths are having same capcity

please give some solid reason

thanks a lot

jahangir ahmad khan

lahore pakistan

The Viking
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Window rattlers are built down to both size and price.

Modern splits has various technologies, like inverters, built in to them just to increase their energy efficiency.

Generally, the split would also have larger coils.

vijay_study
05-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Hi,

Window air conditioner of 1.0 TR capacity with rotary compressor draws 1100watts while hi wall split unit of 1.0 TR capacity draws 1220 watts for two star rated units.

Power consumption of 4star rated units are identical with that of window air conditioner.

Therefore, I believe window air conditioenrs have lower power consumption.

Visit www.bluestarindia.com

Thanks

GXMPLX
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Are the capacities really equal? Did you measure them?

jahangir.ahmad
07-07-2008, 06:11 AM
hi GXMPLX

no i'm not measure them
but written on the sticker pastae on the out door unit boths are same capcity 18000BTU/hr

in my mind becuse the compressor and condensor in a single box thats why it consume more energy compressor working more.
what u think?????

best regrads

jahangir ahmad khan
lahore pakistan

vijay_study
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Actually since the compressor, condensor and evap are located in same box, power consumption should be less due to reduced refrigerant piping lengths.

Peter_1
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
If pipes are proper selected, then the nit will not consume more power. Every VRV/VRf should then be the worst made AC- machine ever and this isn't so.

GXMPLX
14-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Hmmm before I say anything, I would like the model and manufacturer of each compressor.

I think there you could have efficiency differences that could be larger than pipe losses (unless one system is too far appart).

If they had the same compressor, yes piping and different operating conditions would explain differences unless one of the compressor is worn out.

chemi-cool
14-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Window units have smaller fan at the condenser side, the condenser is a bit smaller, condenser is up to 4 rows deep, thats where the differences are

GXMPLX
14-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Window units have smaller fan at the condenser side, the condenser is a bit smaller, condenser is up to 4 rows deep, thats where the differences are

With smaller condenser so should condense worse.

You have higher thermal losses in compact design.

Smaller evap means you evaporate lower.

So you won't see me jump into conclusions too fast!

I think compressor differences could explain more.

But I am not saying you are wrong ... You see even a LADA has been down those roads!

The General
17-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi,

The difference would be due to the size of the evaporator and condenser. The size and ratio of these is important in getting the maximum efficiency. This can be acheived easier on a split system. The window/wall unit has a smaller evaporator and a lower evaporating temperature. They also use the same motor to drive both indoor and outdoor fans, so are restricted as to the airflow and head pressure control.

WINJA
20-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Actually since the compressor, condensor and evap are located in same box, power consumption should be less due to reduced refrigerant piping lengths.
also the last window unit i purchased also had the liquad line looped thru the evaporator condensate tray adding more subcooling surely that would help to make it even more efficient

sedgy
27-07-2009, 11:11 PM
or is the difference is that the window rattler has only one fan motor?

Gary
27-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Window shakers have evolved along with everything else. If the energy consumption is not currently competitive, it eventually will be. And along with the lower price they will have the huge advantage of being easy to install.